Meet Kenzie. Kenzie is a senior this year and is a reporter for The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Kenzie is captain of the Legacy of Bryant's Colorguard. She is an active volunteer in her community...

Rockin’ festivals

A crowd cheers at the Global Gathering music festival | Paul Underhill photo
A crowd cheers at the Global Gathering music festival | photo Paul Underhill

Though not often thought of as typical vacation destinations, music festivals are ideal getaways for music lovers and can be an unforgettable and inexpensive trip when planned right. When it comes to these trips, getting there is half the fun, so fill a car with five or six good friends, split the gas and hotel costs and don’t forget the sunscreen!

Warped Tour

The Vans Warped Tour (June 13-Aug.3) is a national tour that’s been taking the summer by storm for nearly 15 years. Each year the tour features around 100 bands whose genres range from rap and pop to pop punk and metalcore. Tickets are $50 at the gate, and the number of free things given out by Vans and Warped Tour’s sponsors more than make up for the already-affordable price. The tour’s closest stop to Arkansas is the beautiful, but swelteringly hot, Dallas (June 15). St. Louis (July 2) is the second closest location, but the extra hour of driving is well worth the lower temperatures. Some of the bands announced so far include The Maine, Mayday Parade, The Ready Set, Enter Shikari and The Devil Wears Prada.

Riot Fest

Riot Fest (Sept. 12-14) is a music festival in Chicago whose goal is to “throw unforgettable shows.” The fest will be celebrating its 10th anniversary in September. Though the lineup has yet to be announced, Riot Fest has a history of booking lineups that make any punk-rock fan seriously consider hitchhiking to Chicago. Last year’s headliners were Blink-182, Fall Out Boy, the Pixies, and the Replacements, who played the 2013 Riot Fest as its first show together in 22 years. Three-day tickets for Riot Fest generally sell for around $100, which is a good deal considering the large number of bands on the show. Though flights and hotels in Chicago are expensive, the breathtaking city is a must-see and has enough attractions to keep visitors busy for days.

Memphis in May

Memphis in May (May 2-4) is a festival that takes place each May on the historic Beale Street in Memphis, Tenn. The festival is close to home, and preorder tickets only cost $65. The music lineup hasen’t been announced yet, but previous acts include The Black Keys, Mumford & Sons, Megadeth, Wiz Khalifa and Ke$ha. Other events include a barbeque cooking contest, fireworks and an air show. Along with entertainment provided by the festival, visitors can enjoy Beale Street’s eclectic shops and classic Memphis barbeque. Best of all, the fun is just a three hour drive away.

South By So What

South By So What is an offshoot of the popular South by Southwest festival and conference that takes place each spring in Texas. The festival’s multiple stages are set up 15 minutes outside of Dallas in the middle of the Quiktrip baseball park in Grand Prairie, Texas. The festival features metalcore, pop punk and hardcore acts and spans from March 14-16. Headliners include Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Asking Alexandria and August Burns Red. Some other noteworthy bands playing the festival are Bring Me the Horizon, Letlive and The Story So Far. Single-day passes range from $45 to $55 depending on the day and a three-day ticket is $120.

Coachella

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival (April 11-13 and April 18-20) takes place in the mountains of Indio, Calif. and is on the bucket-list on many music lovers. Performers range from pop acts such as Ellie Goulding, Lorde and Lana Del Rey to punk bands AFI and Title Fight. Other big-name acts playing the festival are Skrillex, Kid Cudi, The Replacements and City and Color. General admission tickets cost $375, but guests can also purchase a two-person teepee to crash in and two tickets for all three days of the festival for $2200.