Meet Dierra. Dierra is a senior this year. She loves to sing, read music and write. This is Dierra’s first year on staff for The Prospective and she is excited to get to work. Aside from that, Dierra...

Old vs. New: Teen Wolf

Most times a remake is strictly just a reimagining of an old movie made into a new movie. But sometimes a remake can come in a form other than a movie; “Teen Wolf” is that exception. The 1985 Michael J. Fox loved as a cult classic, turned into an MTV drama.

Story:

So both center on the life of high school loser Scott (Scott Howard in the original, McCall in the show.) The first major difference between the two has to do with the origin of their wolf abilities. In the MTV version, Scott is bitten by a wolf and turns into a werewolf, but in the original, Scott’s family has a werewolf-ism in their bloodline. It’s safe to say that both are polar opposite in tone, with the show being more dramatic and serious, and the original just being a warmhearted comedy about a kid who turns into a wolf to get popular. In the end, it’s all a matter of opinion, but I’d go with the original for its fun nature and comedy that makes you feel good.

Art direction:

Both are like night and day, literally. The classic “Teen Wolf” sticks with a brighter atmosphere and is specific to its time period, with notable ’80s fashion and styles. The modern one is more, well, modern and dark lit. One can tell just by looking that it is going to be a serious drama, and for that, the show gets the point. It’s just so nice to look at and sets the mood perfectly.

Music:

To be honest, the show didn’t really have anything memorable or really catchy with its music, though it does do well at setting the tone. But, hands down, the movie gets this point from the get-go. There are multiple montages that utilize the times music to its advantage, such as using “Surfing U.S.A” every time Stiles or Scott go car surfing. It just seems that stock TV score cant beat ’80s classics like “Good News” or  “Shooting for the Moon.” Point to the original.

Acting:

To start with, the cast from the TV show is pretty good. They are decent enough in the characters they play, especially Stiles actor Dylan O’Brien. But Tyler Posey as Scott was doomed from the start, as he would have to go against Michael J. Fox. It’s practically impossible to beat him, when he was such a believable young actor. You feel for him; you can physically see how he is embarrassed by his werewolf-ism. Not to mention Jerry Levines Stiles, who was quite possibly the most lovable character, and hardest to hate. While I do give props to all the actors in the show, the point has to go to the original.

Final thoughts;

“Teen Wolf” the original may be the clear winner in this article, but the true winner is up to those watch for themselves. Whether a dated comedy or teenage drama is your taste, I have no jurisdiction. Both are worth the time, and both can be found on Netflix, with the original rated PG.