Meet Addison. Addison is a sophomore this year. Outside of newspaper, Addison enjoys exploring stories through books and TV shows, along with creating her own writings. After high school, she plans...

Horrendous horror: “Birdemic: Shock and Terror”

Everyone has seen a bad movie at least once in his or her life. Some movies have bad stories, yet are tolerable enough to only warrant mild hate. Some are movies that are so horribly made and bad that they are laughable like “The Room” and “Plan 9 From Outer space.” Then there are movies that are just so unspeakably bad, so atrocious, just so vilely wretched that they aren’t even funny, they aren’t even passing; there is nothing redeeming. At. All.

“Birdemic: Shock and Terror,” is one of those movies.

“Birdemic” is an independent horror film, and I use the term “horror film” loosely, seeing as it’s hardly horrifying and hardly a film. But to rip on this movie would be to beat a dead horse, so let’s get on to why this “movie” makes Alfred Hitchcock turn in his grave.

James Nguyen is the director and writer of this low budget schlockfest, although no one has ever heard of him, so there’s no real point to note him. The story follows a man named Rod as he and his girlfriend Nathalie as the attempt to survive the attacks of infected birds. If a film’s plot only requires a simple sentence to explain, then there is no reason for this movie to go on for an hour and a half. This is where one of the biggest problems lies; there is so much romantic filler in the first half of this movie, that when the birds attack in the last 30 minutes that it’s not even worth it. It’s especially not worth it when one can say that the bird effects in Alfred Hitchcock’s movie “The Birds” actually look more realistic than “Birdemics” CGI mess.

This movie could be slightly entertaining if it was only the horrible bird effects and weird plot, but the actors in “Birdemic” take their roles so seriously that it hurts to watch them. They speak their lines with absolutely no conviction in their voices. The worst actor in the whole movie is the protagonist, the person you have to see the most of. A plank of wood has more emotion and character than that schmuck.

The good thing about this movie, though, is that it’s universally panned by critics, so unsuspecting viewers can look up the movies name to get an idea of its wretched nature without having to subject themselves to it. But, it pains me to say, they are making a second movie. They are making a “Birdemic 2.” Of all the movies that deserve a sequel, why is it that this movie that shouldn’t have even been conceived in the first, gets a sequel?

The second movie isn’t going to be out for a while, and “Birdemic” itself is on Netflix. Piece of advice: don’t waste the precious time of your life on this movie. It is not worth it. Instead, go watch a good horror film about a bird attack, like Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds.”