Meet David. David is a reporter for The Prospective Newspaper. He’s both a state and national award-winning journalist. He’s been on and worked for several publications for the Bryant School District,...

Best & worst music of the year

220px-Robin_Thicke_Blurred_Lines_CoverWorst:

1. Robin Thicke ft. T.I. Pharrell – Blurred Lines
Is it even necessary to explain why this song is the worst, really? This song is insulting. Picture a basic chauvinist, add about five extra snap backs and multiply that by the maturity of a 12-year-old and that will equal this song. The lyrics in general are revolting, “If you can’t hear what I’m trying to say…Maybe I’m going deaf…Maybe I’m out of my mind,” I think the only one who can’t hear is you Thicke, when someone says no.

2. Brad Paisley ft. LL Cool J – Accidental Racist
It appears like the purpose of this song was the South apologizing for slavery, with country singer Brad Paisley representing the South, and rapper and actor LL Cool J representing the blacks. First off, it’s been almost 150 years, as Paisley mentions in the song, since the Civil War has ended, all the apologizing people could have done has already happened.

3. Rebecca Black and Dave Days – Saturday
She’s back, and Rebecca Black even brought the auto-tune with her. At least this time Black knows where to sit in the car. One of the few good things about this song is that it’s slightly better than her previous horrendous single “Friday.” In short, it’s Black and Days’ parody of Friday, but it’s still quite terrible. It’d be more enjoyable to look at a calendar then have to hear this song again.

4. Baauer – Harlem Shake
After the song and dance went viral on YouTube, clusters of people from around the world ended up filming their version of the dance and uploading them. The first couple of times a viewer watches someone’s take of the Harlem Shake they probably laugh. But after seeing hundreds of videos with the same thing happening in each one, it starts to get a little boring. Let’s bury this song and especially the dance, back in 2013’s grave.

5. Ylvis – The Fox (What Does the Fox Say)
The Norway duo managed to crank out another hilarious song after “Someone Like Me,” for listeners in Norway, and the song that sent the brothers skyrocketing up the billboard charts in the United States. It was rather catchy at first, but after hearing it constantly on repeat it has left much to be desired musically. Basically the only thing good about this song is that the brothers Vegard and Bård Ylvisåke created it for laughs.

Best:

1. Fall Out Boy – The Phoenix
The punk rock quartet of Patrick Stump, Pete Wentz, Joe Trohman and Andy Hurley returned after a four-year hiatus with their album Save Rock and Roll. It’s the first song on the album and automatically hooks listeners with its odd use of string instruments as it climbs toward the chorus. Stump brings out his natural voice in The Phoenix, especially when he sings the lines “release the doves surrender love, hey.”

2. Daft Punk – Get Lucky
Peaking the top ten charts in over 30 countries, Daft Punk’s Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo and Thomas Bangalter created the lead single on their recent album, Random Access Memories. Daft Punk could have been considered electronic/dance music’s hipsters, but after the release of Get Lucky the French duo shot back into stardom. The song brings a smile to listeners’ faces, and has the upbeat happy rhythms comparable to indie pop music. After it went viral worldwide, anyone who wanted to suddenly burst out into song would rather have Get Lucky playing than any other.

3. Capital Cities – Safe and Sound
The indie pop duo of Ryan Merchant and Sebu Simonian released their debut album In a Tidal Wave of Mystery in mid 2013, with Safe and Sound reaching #66 on the Billboard 200 album chart. Merchant and Simonian’s voices harmonize quite like the Beatles’ did in the 60s, but the instruments used in Safe and Sound bring back memories of The Flaming Lips’ cheerful songs. Anyone who wants to reminisce about their happy memories from 2013 need only to listen to Safe and Sound, and be prepared for flashbacks.

4. Justin Timberlake – Mirrors
When the NSYNC member Justin Timberlake first released his recent album The 20/20 Experience, fangirls across the country squealed with joy. Even if someone isn’t interested in songs of the pop genre, Justin Timberlake will end up tilting their viewpoint to the opposite side. With Timberlake’s usual pop style he created this love song that could be any couple’s anthem.

5. Lorde – Royals

Kiwi Ella Maria Lani Yelich-O’Connor, known by her stage name Lorde, was the first New Zealand born solo artist to have a no. 1 song in the United States. While other solo artists who have harmonizing vocals, like Ke$ha, use auto-tune to change their voice, Lorde instead uses different octaves in her voice range to harmonize. Her special mix of indie pop and electronic music allows listeners to hear a tune unlike any other.