Senior Burnout
May 15, 2024
Photo Illustration
The Next Step
May 15, 2024
Senior Burnout
May 15, 2024
Photo Illustration
The Next Step
May 15, 2024

The Next Step

Bryant seniors prepare to enter college and begin the next chapter of their lives.
Photo+Illustration
Kinley Little
Photo Illustration

Between the stresses of completing the FAFSA, finding a roommate, leaving home and determining what type of person they want to be, high school seniors have a lot on their plate as they navigate this transition to college. Learning how to be independent as one enters young adulthood is easier said than done, but this year’s seniors have demonstrated their abilities to handle new challenges and know what it takes to be successful in a college setting.

When examining the typical habits of high-achieving students, certain attributes stand out that set them apart from the rest of their class. It isn’t as simple as only making good grades, but mindset and general behaviors play a big role as well. Dean of Admissions at the University of Arkansas, Suzanne McCray, emphasized this when sharing her perspective.

“Student[s] who come in ready to jump in–to go to class, to connect outside the classroom, to ask for help when needed, to make new friends and more,” McCray said. “Those students are the most likely to be successful.”

Bryant’s graduating class certainly demonstrates this philosophy. The class of ‘24 will attend colleges and universities all over the country. Daniel Barrientos, a senior who will be attending the University of Southern California, is ready to face the unique challenges of his freshman year of college. 

“I feel kind of scared, but also confident because I know that I’m going to a good college for a great education,” Barrientos said. “I know I’ll be able to do all of my responsibilities that Bryant has taught me as a teenager.” 

One of the key components in a college application is the essay. This is an opportunity for students to write about topics that are meaningful to them and express themselves to the college they’re applying to. 

“To seniors who are going to be applying to college: I strongly recommend making your application about your essay,” Barrientos said. “Yes, your grades are going to matter. Yes, your GPA is going to matter, your extracurriculars. But the essay is where you truly show your personality, so put your heart and dedication towards that.”

The Director of Admissions at the University of Central Arkansas, Ashley Berry, echoed this sentiment.

“Everyone has a story worth being told,” Berry said. “Just make sure yours is genuine and thoughtful on why a post-secondary education can benefit you and what you will do with that degree once graduated.”

Preparation for college with students doesn’t start during senior year; in fact, underclassmen approach college readiness with the same level of commitment. David Salinas is taking several measures to ready himself for college even though he’s only a sophomore.

“I’m really just taking a lot of different classes to narrow down my interests,” Salinas said. “On the interests that I have established, I’m joining clubs and taking classes that are relevant to that field.” 

The hard work that students have put into their academics has not gone unnoticed, as both Berry and McCray recognized their potential.

“We see that Bryant students are extremely active outside of the classroom with service and extracurriculars that only add to their preparedness [for] college,” Berry said.

McCray concurred with Berry’s assessment of this class’s college readiness. 

“In reviewing the students at BHS who have applied to attend the U of A, we can say that they have taken the right preparatory courses, have a strong academic record and have the ability to succeed in college,” McCray said.

Not only has Bryant equipped the class of ‘24 with the tools to succeed, but they have also provided a support system that will be behind them as they move forward. Ashley Keesee, a senior sponsor, has high expectations for this year’s graduates.

“This class has a lot of motivation,” Keesee said. “They want to succeed, they’ve got plans, they’ve got big ideas and I’m really excited for them. They’re going to do great things.”