Meet Koen. Koen is a senior this year, and this is his first year on The Prospective staff. He likes hiking and going outdoors and is interested in all things nature. He also likes movies, and he...

Inside the Outsiders

Bryant Theater Company’s “Outsiders” production showcases a story of acceptance and belonging.
The+actors+take+a+bow+as+the+daytime+showing+of+the+play+concludes.+Students+had+the+opportunity+to+purchase+tickets+and+see+the+play+during+their+morning+class+periods.+
Daniel Cruz
The actors take a bow as the daytime showing of the play concludes. Students had the opportunity to purchase tickets and see the play during their morning class periods.

Bryant’s theatre program successfully brought to life “The Outsiders” on Nov. 9-11 through four different showings. At the Edward Love Auditorium, audiences were able to experience this fall production. With a two hour runtime, students were given a full-length play that captures the depth of the original story.   To be inclusive and create a safe and enjoyable show for everyone, trigger warnings for haze and fog effects, strobe lights and simulated gunshots were given. 

Written by S.E. Hilton, the story is set in the 1960s where two rivaling teen gangs, the Greasers and the Socs, explore themes of friendship and identity. Adapted by Christopher Sergel in 1990, the coming-of-age novel was turned into a play that highlights the essence of the original story following themes of friendship, identity, belonging and the struggle for acceptance.

Dallas, played by senior Bee Golleher, points a gun at the doctor, played by senior Nick Conrad as (Daniel Cruz)

Senior Riley Rennels, a student who read the book, found that the play offered more insight than the book.

“I really liked the costume design, the music, and the thrill of the audience,” she said. “It taught me important values like loyalty, friendship and acceptance. I felt like I could feel the emotions more clearly compared to reading or watching the movie.”

Under the guidance of the school’s passionate drama department, the cast and crew worked hard for the past month preparing a show that students will remember. With over 30 years of experience, Jeremy Clay directed this production along with Senior assistant director Laiken Clarke and a creative team of students. The essence of the story and creative interpretation will be managed by them. 

“I collaborated with the actors and technical crew to oversee all of the work and duties being fulfilled,” Clarke said. “I worked with a few actors on intimacy and chemistry training. I helped the Stage Manager to control technical aspects.”

Despite the fact that Clarke is usually seen on stage, she believes that this experience has prepared her to expand her skills working backstage as well. 

“It was all very new to me, especially with this being my first time not being onstage,” she said. “I respect the technical aspects of theater so much more now that I have worked behind the scenes, and I feel more prepared to work either on or off stage! Telling the story is so important in theater, and it cannot be achieved without the actors as well as the technical crew.”

As the Bryant High School Theatre program continues to plan and produce new productions like the upcoming spring production of Matilda, they hope to continue inspiring and affecting students’ lives through great storytelling and acting.