Senior Burnout
May 15, 2024
Photo Illustration
The Next Step
May 15, 2024
Senior Burnout
May 15, 2024
Photo Illustration
The Next Step
May 15, 2024

Senior Burnout

An overview of senior burnout , what can cause it and what you can do to prevent it.
    Photo Illustration (Eriel Carter )

According to a study by Omniscient, more than 78 percent of students experience senior burnout. Senior burnout is the feeling of being constantly exhausted and having a lack of motivation as graduation comes close. Factors like college applications, school work, extracurriculars and art-time jobs can cause this issue.   

Throughout high school, students can feel pressured and lack the energy to do school work, but seniors tend to feel less motivated than most. It’s the end of their high school career and it feels like it’s useless to even continue doing work, seniors such as Raniya Hill expressed.

“It’s just a lot of work you have to comply with,” Hill said.

Though senior burnout may feel inevitable there are ways you can prevent it:  

First, you want to be able to manage the workload you’re getting. A big part of what causes burnout is when you put too much on yourself, a good student knows when too much is just too much and when to delegate responsibilities if they can’t handle it. 

Another good tip is to practice self care, give yourself mental breaks, this helps you to refocus and perform better. Make sure you’re taking care of yourself physically and mentally. Just make sure you’re taking time for yourself and not putting too much on yourself. Hank Penfield, a Henderson State signee, believes in working through senior burnout.

“Try to keep your mind and work going and don’t give up,” Penfield said.

One of the most important things is to work with a purpose. As a senior it can feel like you’re doing a lot of useless work or activities that won’t benefit you in the long run. Sometimes it’s inevitable that you’ll have to do work that you don’t feel like won’t ever benefit you, but when you have a purpose to work towards it makes all the more difference. Sometimes it takes rediscovering your purpose to improve your outlook.