Flying From Page to Screen

Spoiler-free coverage of the new Hunger Games movie, “Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes”
Promotional Photo Murray Close
Coriolanus Snow portrayed by Tom Blythe and Lucy Gray Baird portrayed by Rachel Zegler in the Capitol before the tenth Hunger Games from “Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes”

“Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes,” a 747 page book condensed into 2 hours and 38 minutes on screen, was set to release on Nov. 13 in American theaters. It’s the prequel to the “Hunger Games  films which were based off of Suzanne Collins’ book series by the same name. “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes book release was staggered from the last installment of the original trilogy by a decade, creating discourse online regarding whether or not a movie would be made from the book. Students like junior Taylor Dischinger anticipated the movie’s release. 

“I’m just excited to go see it in theaters and see everyone’s reactions,” Dischinger said. “The experience, that’s what I’m most excited for.” 

A common misconception is that the movie will feature characters from the original series such as Katniss Everdeen, the main protagonist in the trilogy. “The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” takes place during the tenth Hunger Games while the trilogy takes place during the 74th and 75th Hunger Games, making it improbable for the producers to have considered cameos of the characters featured in the trilogy. 

The lack of the original cast disappointed fans like Dischinger who felt the aftermath of the third installment was not done justice by the original series. 

“I was expecting more on what happened afterward [and] was hoping for a little bit more context.” Dischinger said.

Both the book and the movie are from the point of view of President Coriolanus Snow, a main antagonist in the original trilogy; whereas the prequel focuses on Snow’s early adulthood and his involvement in the development of the Hunger Games. 

Throughout the [original] series, [Snow] was portrayed as a villain,  and I feel like [the movie is] just going to give us a little more into who he is because he didn’t start out as a villain.” Dischinger said.

The characters from the “Hunger Games” trilogy interact differently with their environment and each other than their written counterparts. Sophomore Matthew Anderson had expectations that the film’s portrayal did not match.

“[The setting is] different from what I imagined in my head, more old [in appearance], but it makes sense with it being the aftermath of the  war [between the Capitol and the 13 Districts].” Anderson  said

“The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes” deals primarily with Snow’s thoughts, giving readers a glimpse into what makes his mind tick. Throughout the original trilogy and the prequel, Snow is continuously scheming. With any book adapted for the screen, fans like Anderson are worried the movie will not be able to do the original story justice. 

“I don’t know how the movie’s going to compare without Snow’s inner dialogue.”  Anderson said.

Despite the “Hunger Games” being a $3 billion franchise, “Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes” was expected to make $40-50 million at the domestic box office. The movie surpassed expectations with  $100 million. As of Nov. 28, the movie has surpassed $200 million worldwide.  Sales speak for themselves. “Hunger Games” has flown to new heights and captured the attention of audiences once again.