Senior Burnout
May 15, 2024
Photo Illustration
The Next Step
May 15, 2024
Senior Burnout
May 15, 2024
Photo Illustration
The Next Step
May 15, 2024

Meet Gabrielle. Gabrielle is a senior this year, and is a reporter on staff who has been participating in school newspaper for going on 5 years now. Gabrielle is currently an intern at the Benton...

Rubik’s Cube raids teen population

Sophomores Briana Rutherford and Caroline Cato showcase their Rubik's Cubes | baylie mclaren photo

Rubik’s Cube is a logic game and hands-on math puzzle that develops critical thinking and spatial reasoning skills. To solve the cube, you need to learn and memorize multiple algorithms which correspond to spaces and colors on the cube.

Sophomore Briana Rutherford owns multiple cubes, including a rare 7×7 model v-cube.

“I started solving in seventh grade, but I just recently learned how to solve it completely,” Rutherford said.

Rutherford recently purchased a 7×7 model v-cube. She said the v-cube is a better brand than Rubik’s Cube.

“You can buy specialty cubes online like the 7×7 cube, the speed cube or the Rubik’s Pyramid,” Rutherford said. “My v-cube costs about $42 on Amazon.”

Rutherford can solve the original cube in 58.8 seconds, her fastest time.

“You have to learn the algorithms and memorize them,” Rutherford said.

Sophomore Sarah Shepard said with everyone so obsessed with Rubik’s Cubes, it was impossible for her to resist.

“I started because they were constantly around me,” Shepard said. “Basically the whole Quiz Bowl team was obsessed, and eventually they just transferred their knowledge to me.”

Shepard said that since many own them, there is no reason to invest in her own.

“Since everyone has multiple cubes, if I ever want to borrow one, I only need to ask,” Shepard said.

Original Rubik’s Cubes can be found at Walmart or Target for  $11, or online as low as $7. Custom and specialty cubes can be purchased online for $20-$50.

Rubik’s experts learn tips and trips to gain speed like lubing the blocks to reduce friction when turning or constantly pivoting the cube to wear down the new plastic.

To see how to solve a Rubik’s Cube, visit this site