A Guide to Homecoming

A guide to homecoming week and the events involved.

Yisel Acosta

Senior maid Nyla Danzy was escorted at the homecoming pep rally by senior football players Jeremiah Smith, Jaylon Brown, Jordan Knox, and William Kelsey

Kennedi Smith, Staff Writer

Bryant’s homecoming game will be Oct. 21 at the football field. Here is a guide for people who do not know much about homecoming, and would like to know more.

What is Homecoming?

Homecoming is a yearly school event that includes spirit week, homecoming court, a pep rally, games, a dance, and the much anticipated football game. Amber Leaton sponsors Student Senate, who helps plan homecoming week. 

“Traditionally, a homecoming is just a name for an alumni football game where former graduates come home to their alma mater to watch the game. So the football game and court are the actual homecoming,”  Leaton said.

Spirit Week

Homecoming week is also known as spirit week because every day there is a different theme and students can dress up to show their school spirit. Student Senate planned what the themes would be by coming up with different theme ideas and then voting on which themes they liked the best. 

2022’s spirit week themes were as follows:

Monday: Moo Moo Monday

Tuesday: Soccer Moms and BBQ Dads

Wednesday: Adam Sandler Day

Thursday: Country vs. Country Club

“They came up with, I think, some really good ones for this year,” Leaton said. “So we pushed those out and then the week of Oct. 17 through the 20th, everybody will dress up. We’ll have games and prizes going on at lunch.”

The homecoming pep rally was held in the arena on Thursday, Oct. 20. That Friday, Oct. 21, school is out. However, the homecoming festivities will continue because the football game is the night of Oct. 21.

Friday night’s theme is “All Over the World.” Seniors will wear tundra themed clothes, juniors safari, and sophomores beach-themed.

Homecoming Dance

Bryant’s homecoming dance was recently changed to an informal dance because most other 7A schools in the area also hold informal dances. This year, FCCLA planned a dance to be held right after the football game, but due to insufficient ticket sales, the dance was cancelled on Thursday, Oct. 20.

Homecoming Court

At Bryant, the homecoming court consists of a group of girls from all grades. Each club on campus nominated one student from each grade, and then the students from those grades vote for the homecoming court.  After the court is chosen, the student that has the most votes will be crowned queen the night of the homecoming football game.

Although there is only one queen, all homecoming court winners will walk the football field with their parents at the game. Court winners are to dress formally. Senior Maegan Hall was formerly on the court, and was nominated again this year. 

“It’s a very exciting and fun process. I loved it and hope to do it again this year,” Maegan said.