• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Addison. Addison is a sophomore this year. Outside of newspaper, Addison enjoys exploring stories through books and TV shows, along with creating her own writings. After high school, she plans...

Kroger Marketplace

Senior Noah Kerry pushes carts outside of the new Kroger Marketplace on Oct. 20. | Sarah Bullington photo.

Aisles of fresh produce, store-cooked products, cooking utensils and brand-name clothing fill the bright, new store. With the opening of the Kroger Marketplace on Sept. 15, the community can experience a new kind of supermarket.

“Our store is open much later than the other stores in the area, so it allows customers to get deals on the items they need later and easier,” senior Noah Kerry said. “We’re open until 1 a.m., which is great for people who work later.”

The opening of a new business draws a large influx of consumers and workers. With the store open at 6 a.m., customers are constantly flowing through the marketplace. Junior Ryan Lynch ensures the store is prepped and ready for customers.

“I mainly do the parking lot,” Lynch said. “I just go out and collect carts, then I push them together with a pulley system. Then other times I bag customers’ groceries and help them out to their cars.”

Kroger has offered many employment opportunities within Saline County. For senior Bree White, her job is to keep the store up to health code standards.

“I bag the customers’ groceries and sweep the floor or clean the bathroom,” White said. “I put item[s] back that the customers don’t want. [I do] just about anything with keeping the store clean.”

Though workers have a fast-paced schedule, they still find time to enjoy the marketplace.

“I actually really love the way the they have [the store] set up,” White said. “It’s easy to get around and they have a lot more product than most places, especially with the sushi bar and the organic aisles.”

Kroger features various mini shops within the store, featuring fresh soups and sushi combinations. Senior Ashley Groves sees Kroger’s food quality as a reflection of the store’s standards.

“The quality is great,” Groves said. “Definitely good and not cheap tasting, but Kroger isn’t cheap. I also love all of the in-store shops and what not.”

Kroger’s wide variety attracts many kinds of consumers. Their sitting area, featuring various drink machines and booths, provides a meeting space for customers to enjoy their purchases.

“My [church leader meeting] get-together was held [at Kroger] this Sunday,” Groves said. “There is a Starbucks, a sushi bar, and more. The variety made for a nice atmosphere.”

The Kroger Marketplace may be new to Bryant, but it has already acquired a reputation.

“People seem to really like our new store,” Kerry said. “We’ve got a lot of products that most stores around here don’t have, and the products that they do have, we have for cheaper. I think it’s quickly becoming the town favorite.”