• March 26Senior Week starts next week, all seniors who have signed up will be spending advisory, and on Wednesday their lunch periods, in the arena to play games so their teams win
  • March 26Spanish Honor Society is hosting a Spring Dance Competition on Friday, March 29 during Advisory and 1st Lunch. Contestants will be asked to pay a $5 entry fee, and prizes will be awarded to competition winners! If you’d like to compete, click here. // LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v6Dz0MT1NWCMUw7RVFslA1QMGNAFyKBoU-HAHG5Ff4Q/edit
  • March 26On March 26th at 5PM the Bryant High School Baseball team will be playing a home game against Central on our Home field

Meet Annabel. Annabel is a sophomore this year, and this is her third year in Journalism, but first year on The Prospective. She is a major fan of The Walking Dead and Taylor Swift. Annabel plans...

Legally Blonde: the Musical

Senior Morgan Potter gets her makeup done before her performance as Elle Woods in the Royal Theater's recent performance of Legally Blonde: the Musical.
Senior Morgan Potter gets her makeup done before her performance as Elle Woods in the Royal Theater’s recent performance of Legally Blonde: the Musical. | Julia Nall photo

The smell of makeup ran thick in the air behind Benton’s Royal Theater. Young actors crowded the narrow backstage, preparing for the oncoming Saturday matinee performance of Legally Blonde: The Musical.

Amidst the powder, wigs and cries for concealer, there was an undeniable excitement. While the show had been running for a week at this point, the passion for the musical refused to die. In the center of a row of brightly lit mirrors sat Morgan Potter. Numerous hands moved about her face and hair, transforming the senior into the blonde, bright law student she would embody for the next two hours.

The preparation did not simply begin backstage. The cast, all students with the exception of a handful of adult mentors, had spent months working inside and outside of the theater leading up to the four performances that ran between January 9th and 18th.

“I did a character analysis where I read through my script and I read through, like, things that she does, things that she says, and found meaning in what [Elle] says and things about her,” Potter said, about her lead role as Elle Woods. Even those without main parts were part of the massive effort to produce the musical.

“I was here ‘til 4 in the morning sometimes,” senior Dylan Davis said.

Legally Blonde demanded extra work.

“It’s a very difficult show,” sophomore Ryan Lynch said, “and we had to change; we were originally doing Hairspray, but something went bad with the rights… we were on the very last minute.”

However, the cast and refused to give up, personifying the cliche “the show must go on.”

“And honestly, for… changing at the last minute, it rocks. Like, it’s just quite amazing,” Lynch said.

Rehearsal schedules were relentless.

“It feels like your whole life,” sophomore Hannah Blacklaw said.

Rehearsals lasted for eight weeks leading up to opening night.

“When I’m on a show, I have no life because of rehearsal,” Lynch said.

The result was an 18-song, two hour performance, filled with lights and choreography.

Many students participated, mingling with graduates and Benton students (among

many others from varying schools). Beginners and experienced actors worked together, definitive lines blurring as the cast and crew collaboration continued.

“It’s really new to me, but I’m enjoying it,” freshman Mia Moore said. This was also freshman Jonathan Gatlin’s first show– meanwhile, a couple Gatlin and Moore’s castmates have been at this much longer.

“I started this five years ago and I can’t stop,” Blacklaw said.

Ryan Lynch marked this as his tenth show.

“Theater is my life,” Lynch said.