• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Meet Hayden. Hayden is a junior, and this is his first year on The Prospective. Beyond newsapaper, Hayden is the secretary for the Hornet Fashion Club. Hayden loves everything to do with clothes...

Surviving destruction

Sophomore Melissa Barrientos | Madeline Colclasure

Arkansans have come together to support relief efforts to help the people affected by the E4 tornado that hit April 27.  People lost family, homes and belongings, and in the days following people have taken to social networks to try and find the owner’s of belongings taken by the tornado and scattered across the state.

As a member of the Jesus Christ Church of Latter Day Saints, sophomore Melissa Barrientos traveled to Downtown Little Rock on May 3 with a portion of her congregation while others went to Mayflower and Vilonia to volunteer.

“There were so many things people were doing to help like helping with the food and gathering donations, but I helped by gathering debris and putting them into a pile for them to be burned,” Barrientos said.

The EF4 tornado claimed 10 lives in Faulkner County, 5 in Saline County and one in White County.  Recorded as the deadliest tornado to hit Arkansas since May 15, 1968.

“I grew up in a small village in Bolivia, so while I was growing up I went without many things,” Barrientos mother, Vicky said.  “I came to the U.S. to give a better life to my kids.  When I heard that our church was going to be volunteering to help those in needs, I instantly knew my kids needed to help too.”

Estimated 166 – 200 mph winds destroyed over 400 homes.

“Since God has blessed my family with so much, I wanted my children to give back,” Vicky said.

The tornado lasted from 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. traveling over 150 miles through Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma and caused over 35 fatalities.

“I learned that I need to appreciate all the things that I have been blessed with and count my blessings because you never know when something or someone can be taken away from you,” Barrientos said.  “By looking at all the damage and destruction the tornado caused to many people made me realize how extremely grateful I am for what I have.”