Meet Hayden. Hayden is a junior, and this is his first year on The Prospective. Beyond newsapaper, Hayden is the secretary for the Hornet Fashion Club. Hayden loves everything to do with clothes...

Graduation May 2014

muAYHFHCOP-7k8bsdYFhhjQ

Seniors:

It is the opinion of the board that graduation should be a formal occasion. Few, if any, of the activities of our school that are open to the public compare in importance with graduation. The presentation of diplomas near the end of the program marks the last official act of the school in reference to graduating seniors. Consequently, it is an important moment for all concerned and is regarded as a major opportunity of the year for the school and students to appear at their best.

Dress following the recommendations on the following page. DO NOT WEAR YOUR GOWN TO PRACTICE!

PRACTICE BEGINS PROMPTLY AT 9:00 AM ON Thursday, MAY 29 AT VERIZON
GRADUATION BEGINS PROMPTLY AT 7:00 PM Thursday, MAY 29 AT VERIZON

Turn in all textbooks, library books, locks, spring picture packets, and pay all fees before senior finals to avoid having fines!

ALL FEES AND FINES MUST BE PAID BEFORE YOU MAY RECEIVE YOUR DIPLOMA. Pay fines in the main office before May 16.

YOU MUST HAVE SERVED ALL D-HALL ASSIGNMENTS OR OTHER DISCIPLINARY ASSIGMENTS TO GRADUATE.

To be a candidate for graduation, a senior must have units sufficient to complete all graduation requirements by May 30, or be within 1 unit. A student who has not fulfilled the graduation requirements will not receive a diploma until all requirements are completed. All students will receive their diploma cover on stage. All diplomas not picked up on the night of May 29 must be picked up in the principal’s office at a later date.

Students will not be allowed to line up or take part in the graduation exercise if one or more of the following applies:
1. Has failed to meet the graduation requirements by more than one unit.
2. Did not attend graduation practice on the morning of May 29.
3. Has failed to dress properly for graduation. A senior class sponsor or administrator will determine this.
4. Shows evidence of being under the influence of alcohol or drugs at practice or at graduation.
5. Displays other acts of misconduct deemed unacceptable.
6. Are not in good standing At Bryant High School as stated on page 78 of the student
handbook.

Davis-Pack/LifeTouch will have a representative at graduation to take a picture of you as you receive your diploma. You will order these from an on-line site.

Please let your parents know that NO ONE other than seniors and people in our program will be allowed on the coliseum floor before or during commencement. ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEO CAMERAS, CAMERAS, ETC. WILL BE ALLOWED ON THE COLISEUM FLOOR DURING THE CEREMONY.

NO BALLOONS ARE ALLOWED IN VERIZON ARENA. INFORM YOUR GUESTS NOT TO BRING ANY TO BE PRESENTED TO YOU AFTER GRADUATION.

ANY PERSON WITH AN AIR HORN, NOISE MAKER, ETC. MAY BE ESCORTED FROM THE ARENA AND WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO RETURN. VERIZON ARENA EVENTS SECURITY STAFF WILL BE ON HAND TO ENFORCE THIS.

PARKING:
You should park in the lot across from the box office entrance (Cypress & Washington) for practice and for graduation. Having a cap & gown is what gives you access to this lot on the night of graduation. No one else will be allowed to park in this area except seniors. Car-pooling is encouraged.

There will be no free parking for parents/guests attending the ceremony. All lots require a fee of $5-$10.

TRAVEL TIME:
Please take travel time into consideration when arriving at the arena especially for the ceremony. Mr. DeGeorge, Verizon Events coordinator, strongly suggested that you and your guests consider taking the 430 route and coming across the river near the Maumelle area and then taking I-40 into NLR. By doing this, you will miss the downtown traffic. You nor your guests want to be late for the ceremony.

PRACTICE: Thursday, May 29, 9:00 AM, at Verizon Arena, North Little Rock

Practice should last two hours or less. YOU MUST ATTEND TO PARTICIPATE IN GRADUATION!

PRACTICE SCHEDULE:
Park in the designated parking lot and be seated in stands by 9:00 am. Use the box office entrance to enter the arena, not the front doors. Honor Grads will be announced at this time as well as Arkansas Scholars. All students will be assigned seats on the floor. We will practice entering the coliseum, sitting and receiving diplomas. You will be given general information, and then dismissed. You may want to tell your parents and guests on which side you will be sitting.
**Follow school dress code
**Administrators, counselors, senior sponsors, and resource officers will be in attendance also.

GRADUATION: Thursday, May 29, 7:00 PM
Commencement will begin at 7:00 PM. It is very important that you be completely dressed and in the area where we will be lining up by 6:00 PM. Upon arriving at Verizon, you should immediately report to the designated area via the box office entrance. Do not be wandering around the arena area.


SUGGESTIONS FOR WEARING GRADUATION CAP AND GOWN 

THE CAP
A. The cap is placed upon the head so that the mortarboard is level with the long point of the crown at the back. The front point is well down on the forehead approximately 1” above the eyebrows.

B. Boys are to remove their caps during the benediction. Also, boys are to remove their caps during the Pledge of Allegiance, National Anthem, and the Alma Mater. Young ladies NEVER remove their caps. This year we are using the cap with elastic sides. Bobby pins should be used to secure caps.

THE TASSEL
The tassel is to be worn over the right temple until all the diplomas have been presented. It is customary at Bryant to switch the tassel from the right to the left during the ceremony. This year you will switch the tassel after all the seniors have received their diplomas. THE SENIOR CLASS PRESIDENT WILL STAND TO GIVE THE “FAREWELL” SPEECH. AFTER THE SPEECH, THE PRESIDENT WILL GIVE THE CUE TO SWITCH THE TASSEL. THIS IS DONE IN UNISON AND ON CUE.

THE GOWN
Your gown should be placed on a hanger so that the folds acquired from packing will fall out. For best appearance, it should be pressed with a warm iron and a towel. Do not place a hot iron directly on the gown

WHAT TO WEAR UNDER THE GOWN:
1. You are not to wear shorts, jeans, jean skirts, or overalls.
2. Casual shoes such as tennis shoes or flip-flops will not be allowed.
3. Gentlemen are to wear a dress shirt and tie. Coats should be left off for comfort. Wear dress slacks or nice pants. Boys are to wear dark colored dress shoes with dark socks. (Not white athletic socks)
4. Girls should wear dress shoes. Dark shoes are preferred. When considering wearing heels, remember you must walk up a ramp to receive your diploma cover.
5. A simple lightweight dress without a high neckline is recommended for the girls. All hemlines should not exceed two inches above the knees. Dress hem should not show below the bottom of the gown.

THE DIPLOMA
When receiving your diploma, remember to reach for the diploma with the left hand so you can shake hands with the Superintendent with your right hand.