• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Meet Dierra. Dierra is a senior this year. She loves to sing, read music and write. This is Dierra’s first year on staff for The Prospective and she is excited to get to work. Aside from that, Dierra...

Goodbye classroom, hello retirement

03retiring_042414_mcJamie Shaw, 17 years:

Q: What have been the most valuable parts of your years as an educator?

A: The most valuable parts of my years as an educator have been the students. I would not do anything differently because of the time I have had with them.  I have also enjoyed spending time with friends that I have made over the years here at school.

Q: If anything, what have you learned from your students?

A: I have learned a lot from my students, the most important is being able to laugh at myself and to not take things and myself so seriously.

Q: What do you plan on doing with your time after retiring? 

A: After retiring, I plan to visit family, relax, and play with my 5-year-old grandson. I will enjoy the fact that I will have no more paperwork with a deadline. I will miss my friends and my students here at Bryant High School.

Toni Naugle, 38 years:

A: Starting 38 years ago in special education, before students with disabilities were allowed in public school, to see that they are now a part of the school system, accepted in the community, and have resources available to become productive members of their community, as well as afforded the rights given to every citizen.

It is more than just helping students to process academics; it’s about giving them the independence to learn and interpret their surroundings in a way they can understand.

A: The students have taught me the meaning of unconditional love, enjoying the small things life has to offer, to not sweat the big stuff.  Look at each day as a new beginning.

A: Hope to be able to travel more, spend time on my houseboat and continue my involvement with Special Olympics, community service for people with developmental disabilities.  Remembering my lessons learned-to enjoy one day at a time.

Jim Wright, 25 ½ years:

A: Being able to help those students who have had a hard time making things work in a large school system and seeing them succeed is my greatest reward.

A: That is the thing, I learn something everyday from my students and it makes me a better person.  The main thing is how to cope with other people’s problems.

A: I will first take care of my parents and my wife’s parents, and then I will do something that I enjoy and that is farming and traveling.

Donna Elmore, 27 years:

A: Working with students and trying to make a positive difference in their lives.  And, working along side great educators that have become life-long friends.

A: I have learned to expect the unexpected. I have also learned to never judge a book by its cover. Students carry a lot of stuff within them, and getting to know who they really are is truly a gift.

A: My sister and I are opening a new business. Two Peas in a Pod Flea Market and More. This will give me an opportunity to do two things I love to do…shop and decorate.

Carrell Holland, 41 years:

A: I have worked in four different school districts and have made many friends.  It is a joy to meet students from the past who are now adults and to see them being successful at their chosen occupation.

A: It has amazed me many times what students can do and are doing outside of school.  I have learned that you just don’t know what others are capable of doing until you get to know them and find out.

A: My plans are to do lots of exercise…walking, golf, basketball, etc.  Also, I plan to play with my two granddaughters and take them places.

Vesta Holland, 40 years:

A: I have been privileged to work with hundreds of students over the years, and I am still in touch with several of them. I also have made lifetime friends with many faculty members throughout the years.

A:  No matter what, every student deserves to be accepted and encouraged.

A: First, I will have to learn how to live without setting an alarm clock and going by a bell schedule.  I do plan to spend more time with my family, especially my 3 and 5-year-old granddaughters, do some traveling and get involved in all kinds of volunteer work.