Meet Koen. Koen is a senior this year, and this is his first year on The Prospective staff. He likes hiking and going outdoors and is interested in all things nature. He also likes movies, and he...

Ride of the week: Justice Pryor

Sophomore Justice Pryor on his bike. | photo provided by Justice Pryor

Sophomore Justice Pryor pulls his Yamaha R6 bullet bike into the field house parking lot with all eyes on him. He has been riding since he was 12-years-old and said he would much rather drive his motorcycle than ever drive a car.

“I started off in motocross at such a young age so I already knew how to ride. I decided to start driving a street bike because I could have it all legal before I could get a car,” Pryor said. “Plus, they are cheaper to buy than cars.”

Not only is riding a personal interest for Pryor, it’s something he can enjoy with his family. Pryor said that his whole family rides and that was the primary reason he got into bikes. Riding was passed down to him through his family.

“This past summer, I took a rode trip with my dad to Texas, Oklahoma and then up to Nebraska,” Pryor said. “We were actually coming back and I was going too fast when I went around a turn. I hit a scrap and went up into a cornfield. My dad is a mechanic so when we got home we had to strip it down and repaint it.”

While the love for motorcycles runs in his family, his friends have mixed emotions about his obsession. Some of his friends worry that he will injure himself riding his bike.

“All my guy friends want to go riding some time, but some people are just like, ‘don’t get hurt’,” Pryor said. “But I love that I can go fast so quickly.”

The perks of riding are clear to Pryor, but there are still a few down sides of it. He said that the weather is what effects his driving the most.

“I love to ride,” Pryor said, “except when it’s really hot in the summer time and I’m at a stop light because I don’t have AC and in the winter.”

Pryor’s outlook on driving doesn’t change with the weather. Even though winter is quickly approaching, Pryor said he still wishes he could drive his bike anyways.

“It’s boring driving a car. There’s so many more aspects of the road that you get to encounter with a bike than when you’re driving a car,” Pryor said.