• March 26Senior Week starts next week, all seniors who have signed up will be spending advisory, and on Wednesday their lunch periods, in the arena to play games so their teams win
  • March 26Spanish Honor Society is hosting a Spring Dance Competition on Friday, March 29 during Advisory and 1st Lunch. Contestants will be asked to pay a $5 entry fee, and prizes will be awarded to competition winners! If you’d like to compete, click here. // LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v6Dz0MT1NWCMUw7RVFslA1QMGNAFyKBoU-HAHG5Ff4Q/edit
  • March 26On March 26th at 5PM the Bryant High School Baseball team will be playing a home game against Central on our Home field

Meet Kenzie. Kenzie is a senior this year and is a reporter for The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Kenzie is captain of the Legacy of Bryant's Colorguard. She is an active volunteer in her community...

Students face new policies

Juniors Mallory Curry, Madison Morehead and Madison Berryman compare their schedules. | photo Esteban Meza |

With each new school year comes new rules. Additions to the dress code, outside drinks and cellphones were made to the handbook. Alongside a new state law requiring a moment of silence every day before the Pledge of Allegiance.

In the morning teachers walk into their room, greet their class and say something along the lines of, “Now let us have our moment of silence.” Some students bow their heads and close their eyes as a brief prayer, others sit and stare around the room as the moment passes.

The bill, sponsored by Rep. Debra Hobbs, passed, 79-4, to make a moment of silence mandatory for all public schools in Arkansas starting with this school year.

“I actually like it. I like that they are bringing back prayer into school, which is why they’re doing it,” sophomore Hanna Shelby said. “I’m a Christian so I like having that option available for other people too.”

Changes to the dress code include pant no more than 4 inches above knee all around, students may not wear tights with clothes that are more than four inches above the knee but, jeans can have holes in them as long as they are not above the four inches.

“I don’t ever really wear tank tops or shorter clothes anyway so it doesn’t really affect me personally but I can see how people would get upset about wanting to wear what they want to wear,” junior Becca Cario said. “Not being able to see people’s shoulders is ridicules.”

Students are now able to bring beverage containers on campus as long as they have a lid, though students cannot bring glass containers, like chilled Starbucks’ coffees. Students may also have their cellphones out in between classes and during lunch. Administrators have revoked the rule about no headphones; students may have one ear bud in while walking to and from class.