• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Koen. Koen is a senior this year, and this is his first year on The Prospective staff. He likes hiking and going outdoors and is interested in all things nature. He also likes movies, and he...

Yearbook & newspaper crowned at Columbia

Seniors Parker Pamplin, Morgan Rullmann, Jake Knight, Ashton Eley, Ashley Collins, Amber Easterly and Sydney Cowell hold their Crown Awards from Columbia Scholastic Press Association.

Over spring break, journalism adviser Margaret Sorrows traveled with seven seniors to New York City to accept their Crown Awards. Each year the Columbia Scholastic Press Association awards high school publications with Silver and Gold Crowns, the top national recognition for scholastic publications. The 2011-2012 yearbook received a Gold Crown and the newspaper received a Silver Crown.

Students include seniors Ashley Collins, Sydney Cowell, Amber Easterly, Ashton Eley, Jake Knight, Parker Pamplin and Morgan Rullmann. English teacher Nancy Hunt and Kellie Sorrows also traveled to New York.

The yearbook has received three consecutive Gold Crowns, but Sorrows decided to take students to New York when she found out that the newspaper would receive its first Crown Award.

“It was a huge honor to know that this was the first time in our school’s history for the newspaper to receive this award,” newspaper editor Eley said. “Many people aren’t sure what this award means, but I guess it’s sort of like winning nationals for a sport.”

The group attended the awards ceremony Friday, March 22 at Columbia, but also experienced some of New York City’s attractions. Throughout the week, students watched several Broadway shows including, The Lion King, Phantom of the Opera, Wicked and Newsies.

The group poses for a picture with Diane Sawyer on the set of ABC World News.

Elicia Dover, a former Bryant student, gave the group a tour of ABC World News where she now works as a digital journalist. They watched Diane Sawyer record the nightly news, and to their surprise, the students were able to meet and take a photo with Diane Sawyer.

“When [Diane Sawyer] patted my shoulder I was like ‘Oh my gosh, we’re best friends!’ She was so down to earth, and it was cool that she took time to talk with us,” yearbook editor Easterly said.

The group also visited the 9/11 Memorial and watched Good Morning America from Times Square.