• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Meet Kinley. Kinley is a sophomore this year, as well as a reporter for The Prospective. She’s an aspiring member of FCCLA and Beta Club and wants to be involved in the school community. This is her...

Senior Mark Burbank directs play at Royal Theater

Senior Mark Burbank | tony garibay

Senior Mark Burbank has been interested in acting and directing plays since he was 5-years-old. When his mother found out about the plays at the Royal Theater, they thought it would be a great opportunity for Burbank.

“My mom read about it somewhere,” Burbank said. “And that was that.”

Burbank’s first play was a seussification of “Romeo and Juliet”. Right now, he is directing “Beauty and the Beast”. It will be his first full musical and his last play with the young players.

“Last summer was my first time to direct and this next play will be my third,” Burbank said.

Directors under 18 direct the young players and shows for smaller kids. Since Burbank is now 18-years-old, this will be his last time working with the younger children. Burbank started by taking acting classes at the Royal and working his way up.

“It is what I’ve always done, and what I spend all my time doing,” Burbank said. “I don’t really have a life outside the theater.”

Normally the directors get paid, but Burbank has decided to take that money and put it back into the play. Auditions were held March 1 and 2 for youngsters interested in acting. Rehearsals will start March 9 and go until the last day before the play.

“For this play we’ll have about 30 rehearsals, but I’ve done shows where we had only 15,” Burbank said.

The Royal Theater funds all the plays and provides a place to perform the plays. The producers track their money and budget, making sure they don’t’ spend more than they have.

“As the director, my job is to block the show, put it together, cast it and put it on the stage,” Burbank said.

The play will take place at the Royal Theater in downtown Benton on April 11-14.