Meet Teagan. Teagan is a sophomore and this is her first year on The Prospective. When not tending to newspaper duties, she enjoys reading and progressing in her writing projects. She’s an aspiring...

Prom changes location

New school, new rules.  Prom location is yet another change.

As “The Center” at Bishop Park closes to the public at 8 p.m., the entire facility will open privately for prom.

For the past 13 years, the school has paid approximately $3,000 to rent the ballroom at the Statehouse Convention Center and spent approximately $7,000 for the decorations and D.J.  The cost of renting Bishop Park’s facility is less than renting the facility of the Convention Center; however, the prom committee will use the extra money to hire decorator and caterer Gina Simpson and renting a dance floor, so this prom will cost near the same amount according to the sponsors.

Seniors have mixed emotions toward the change to prom.

“I’m a little disappointed about it being at Bishop since it’s my senior year,” senior Liz Ortiz said, “but I’m excited about the decorations.”

Renting a location at Bishop Park, the school will save a significant amount of money, leaving the prom committee with excess funds.  However, with the expenses of more decorations and finger foods, the overall cost is not substantially less than the Convention Center.

Students are still skeptical about the new venue and atmosphere and allowing the location to dictate whether or not they attend.

“It won’t be as classy of an event,” senior Jacob Hubbard said.  “I’m undecided on going.  It may not be worth the money.”

Students are still planning to eat in Little Rock before prom because of the limited local selection of fine dining.

“I will still go to Little Rock to eat before prom,” junior Garrett Rich said.  “It will cost so much in gas going from Bryant to Little Rock, then back to Bryant.”

Sponsors Ashley Harrison and Laura Wooten, along with the student prom committee explored several other options for a new venue, each being as expensive as the Convention Center before deciding on Bishop Park.

“We felt like if we were going to make the change, and we had a facility that was willing to have us in our own community and they were the best price, we should support them [Bishop Park]”  Wooten said.  “It will be like you’re not even walking into Bishop Park.  It’s going to be amazing!”

Both the prom committee and sponsoring teachers are confident that this prom will be worth the cost and the change.

“The atmosphere depends on the kids,”  Harrison said.  “Location doesn’t determine the amount of fun you have.”