Meet Elijah. Elijah is a sophomore this year and is excited to experience everything high school has to offer. He is a trumpet player for Bryant High’s award winning band. He’s been to loads...

Job of the week: Anna Smith

Sporting her 24 Athletic Club shirt, junior Anna Smith said she enjoys her job at the gym. | lauren sanders photo

Greeting gym members with a smile and “hello”, junior Anna Smith busies herself in the paperwork at 24 Athletic Club on Springhill road.

“I clean and then I talk to people. I take money for the Zumba class and I sign people up for memberships at the gym. I do a little bit of everything,” Smith said.

Smith said collecting money for the Zumba class is the most enjoyable part of her job.

“It’s just fun. Those women are crazy,” she said, laughing. “I like it a lot. It’s a real easy job.”

24 Athletic Club is Smith’s first job, and she has worked there for a little over a year. She usually works alone, but there are times on Monday another employee comes in too, usually senior Harley Burks, but Burks will soon be moving, and Smith is unsure of who the new employee will be.

Because of lack of staff, Smith was able to obtain the job. She said that balancing school and work is usually not difficult depending on how much homework she has. There is not much down time at the gym because of everyone’s New Year resolutions at the beginning of the year.

From Jan. 1, Smith said she has signed up at least 10 people every week. That is not including the people signed up by other employees.

Smith said she must always be ready for an emergency since she works in a facility where injuries are likely to happen.

“One time this guy passed out and I had to call 911. It was pretty intense because they thought that he hit his head on a bar on the way down,” Smith said.

Working every weekday, Smith stays busy with her job and school, but she said she enjoys it.

“I get a paycheck and a free gym membership. It’s awesome,” Smith said.