Breaking Boundaries

Breaking+Boundaries

Spencer Shreeve, Print Editor

Spring break can provide opportunities for students to expand their knowledge and branch out of American borders and culture. For her first time out of the country, sophomore Lauren Wilson made stops in London and Paris.

“My mom and I had to go through the whole process of getting my passport, which was a long and horrible experience,” Wilson said. “The flights were extremely long. I think it was six hours from Philadelphia to Heathrow airport and nine hours from Paris to Atlanta. Half the time I had the middle seat in between either people from Lakeside [High School] or adults who always took the armrests.”

The trip focused on tourist hotspots within the two cities. However, not all sites lived up to Wilson’s expectations.

“The most underwhelming thing was Big Ben,” Wilson said. “It was a lot smaller than I expected and very gaudy. Pictures don’t really show how gold encrusted it is. I’m not sure if it’s actual gold or still painted, but I wasn’t too impressed to say the least.”

Despite some let-downs, some landmarks left Wilson speechless. After Paris was attacked Nov. 13, the Eiffel Tower has served as both a national landmark and a statement against terrorism.

“When we went, the Brussels attacks had just taken place, so the maintenance people, instead of giving the usual light show, lit up the tower in the colors of the Belgian flag,” Wilson said. “I think that’s something I’ll always remember, not just because it’s the Eiffel Tower, but because it really brought into perspective how real these attacks are and how real the people affected are.”

Gaining a new perspective is a common purpose for volunteer-based spring break trips. Senior Megan Medford sought that experience during her second mission trip to Ometepe, Nicaragua.

“Last year it was more relaxed, because it was our first time there,” Medford said. “We wanted to get a feel for the island, the way people lived, and the needs people had. This year was more structured, and we had a lot more to do and places to travel to.”

With prior knowledge of the town under their belts, the group members had a clear vision of their goals.

“Every day was something new,” Medford said. “Our main focus was ministering to and serving the people and playing sports with the kids. The day we arrived, we had a meeting with our main contact about what we would be doing during the week. All in all, it was a lot of hiking and physical activities with the children there.”

The island is composed of two volcanoes, Concepción and Maderas. For Medford, hiking the dormant volcano was the highlight of the trip.

“It was a test of strength and endurance, but I made it to the top,” Medford said. “The best part was on the way down. [Our translator] asked me why I came to the island and why I was in my youth group. It was a cool experience, not only to express to him my love for sharing the love of Christ to the people, but also to reflect on my motives to serve and why I continue to do so.”

Volunteering abroad allows for a reevaluation of values. To Medford, experiencing other cultures is both mentally and emotionally rewarding.

“We get so caught up in petty, Americanized life that we forget the hurt people go through,” Medford said. “[Traveling abroad] also provides a joy that I’ve never experienced before. Although those people are hurting and have tough lives, they are the happiest people. It rubs off on you and makes you thankful for what you have.”