Meet Annabel. Annabel is a sophomore this year, and this is her third year in Journalism, but first year on The Prospective. She is a major fan of The Walking Dead and Taylor Swift. Annabel plans...

Not Your Average Athlete: Devin Crawley

Senior Devin Crawley on his bike. PHOTOS BY CAITLIN GREEN

by Ashton Eley.

When people think of motorcross, they usually picture someone like Ricky Carmichael making crazy, death-defying jumps. These pros are amazing, but most started out in high school or younger. They started out like senior Devin Crawley.

Crawley has been racing for three years. He said motorcross has become part of his framily’s tradition.

“My dad did motorcross. He is the reason I started,” Crawley said. “I like it because it’s good exercise and something fun to do.”

Crawley placed fourth in the state his first year of racing. He said he trains with one of the best, pro rider Blake Keeton.

They practice at Supreme Cycle where Crawley also works under Robert Kendrick, the track-owner.

“I helped build the track that we practice on every Tuesday and Thursday,” Crawley said.

Crawley races at Malibu, Hot Springs, Pine Bluff and all over the Arkansas. He said there can be anywhere from seven to 25 riders in a race. It’s highly competitive and dangerous.

“When you do crash, you get pretty injured,” Crawley said, “but our gear has come a long way from what it use to be.”

The riders’ protective gear includes padding on the chest, knees, pants, and arms and a helmet and goggles. In all, it weighs about fifteen pounds.

“During practice, I have to do a 30-minute motor run,” Crawley said. “I ride my bike and then run the loop with full gear on for 30 minutes and then do it again for 20 and then 10 minutes.”

It may be hard work, but Crawley said he loves it.

“It’s just you and the bike,” Crawley said. “When you are riding nothing else matters.”