• April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.
  • April 12On April 12, 2024, Dr. Edward’s was rewarded a coin of excellence by Major General Stubbs at the 10:00 assembly.
  • April 12On April 11, 2024, Saline County had a tow hall meeting talking about various things that affect our students.

Ahna Allan
Ahna Allan
Reporter

Meet Ahna. Ahna is a senior this year. Outside of newspaper, Ahna spends most of her free time listening to music and spending time with her family. One of Ahna’s favorite things to do is help others....

Girls gear up for state playoffs

Junior Anna Lowery passes the ball to a teammate | photo Jake Atwood

With state titles and playoffs looming, girls soccer strive for the state championships instead of runner up.

“We have been shooting great all year, and our speed has really been the difference maker this year,” coach Julie Long said. “We’ve been playing like the best team in the state, and I feel as if we are.”

The girls are the number one seed in the 7A conference, and are playing against Fort Smith Southside or North Little Rock this Friday as Bryant hosts the state championship.

“We’ve been moving the ball around great and have been taking advantage of almost every scoring opportunity,” junior forward Anna Lowery said.

Lowery has had a big year with 17 goals and 16 assists. The girls have been dominating in the last two games by outscoring opponents nine goals to one.

“Our selfness has been the key to our offense,” Long said. “With our speed and how were passing the ball, this team is one of the most dangerous in the state.”

The team is 19-2 overall and 9-1 in conference.

“With as little depth as we have, I was surprised of how far we’ve gotten,” Lowery said. “I thought we would get in the playoffs but not in such a good position.”

The girls only have three seniors on the team, with the majority of the team being underclassmen or sophomores.

“I have really stepped up as a leader for our team,” senior goalkeeper Maddie Hawkins said. “All of our seniors had to step up, and I think we did.”

Hawkins has only let one goal go past her in the last two games and shut out Van Burren.

“We have really grown as a team and, over the course of the season, we have molded into the team that I think can go all the way,” Long said.