• March 26Senior Week starts next week, all seniors who have signed up will be spending advisory, and on Wednesday their lunch periods, in the arena to play games so their teams win
  • March 26Spanish Honor Society is hosting a Spring Dance Competition on Friday, March 29 during Advisory and 1st Lunch. Contestants will be asked to pay a $5 entry fee, and prizes will be awarded to competition winners! If you’d like to compete, click here. // LINK: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v6Dz0MT1NWCMUw7RVFslA1QMGNAFyKBoU-HAHG5Ff4Q/edit
  • March 26On March 26th at 5PM the Bryant High School Baseball team will be playing a home game against Central on our Home field

Meet Jacob. Jacob is a junior this year and this is his first year on staff for The Prospective. He has a passion for photography. Outside of school, Jacob loves getting to know people.

Softball opens conference, swings for state

Junior Jordan Williams pitches against Russelliville March 6. The Lady Hornets are (1-2) as of March 18 | photo Jake Dean

In a program riddled with success, tradition and three state championships since 2008, the softball team faced a rocky season as it watched other teams compete in last year’s state tournament. By the end of last season, it lost one senior and challenged head coach Debbie Clark to begin another state title run after last year’s rebuilding season. As the season kicks off, the team finds itself in another uncomfortable position.

The team beat Rogers March 8, 7-6, its first strong start after losing to Russellville, 0-4, March 6.

“Rogers was a good game,” senior Kaley Coppock said. “We worked together as a team and really stepped up from last year.”

Ten days passed between Russellville and Rogers, so keeping up with practice was a challenge.

“We’re trying to make sure we’re keeping our skills intact and not just goofing off,” Coppock said. “We have to keep focused and prepare for our next game.”

Despite the first game’s loss, Coppock said she thinks they’re getting better.

“I think there was slight improvement,” she said. “Russellville’s pitcher was really good, but we still were able to adjust to the pitching.”

According to senior Kayla Jolley, the team’s biggest problem is mental mistakes.

“There was a little bit of improvement, but defensively we could’ve done a little better,” she said. “It just got into our heads.”

The team opened up its conference schedule last night against rival Benton, a game that they’ve looked forward to since the first practice. Despite losing to the Panthers twice last year, senior Kate Stillman said she was confident they could win.

“They lost a lot of seniors so they’re not as good as they were last year,” she said. “Russellville’s getting a lot better, and I know a lot of the northern teams are good.”

They lost, 2-6, a slight improvement from last year’s results.

Despite the icy weather conditions that closed roads and schools, the softball team practices in the middle school gym and the field house whenever they can.

“We’ve practiced so much,” Jolley said. “Little things, whether it’s small ball, hits, we’ve done every possible little thing we can.”

As the season continues, she also said they should improve as the experience brings them together.

“We’ve bonded more, we’re more comfortable with each other,” Jolley said. “We understand each other’s weaknesses and strengths.”

Other top teams in the state include Conway, whose game got rescheduled after inclement weather March 4, and Fayetteville, who the Lady Hornets play April 4 in Farmington.

For the softball team, its new season, while hopeful, needs improvement. But, it won’t take long to cure once the season gets underway.

“Once we made a mistake, we let it get to our heads,” Jolley said. “We need to just forget about it when it happens and move on.”