• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Meet Sydney. Sydney is a senior this year, as well as one of the editors for The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Sydney fills a leadership role within Bryant High's choir program as their Historian....

Concurrent credit payments

concurrent credit picConcurrent credits allow students to earn college credit for any class they pass.

“I wanted to take concurrent credit classes because it’s a really good way to get a head start on college,” junior Noah Sandlin said. “I’m learning a lot in Algebra III, AP US history and AP Language because the classes are pushing me to expand my horizons.”

Even if a student does not end attend UALR, the credits he achieved in high school will transfer to most in-state schools. Those credits can also transfer to some out of state schools.

First a student needs to know if he is eligible for acquiring any concurrent credits at all. The student must have taken a qualifying test, such as the ACT or SAT and submitted their scores, if the score is a 21 or above, to UALR, applied online to UALR’s Early Credit section and have submitted the concurrent credit forms to their counselor. Students also must be approved by their high school to earn credit through the concurrent program.

Most, but not all, AP courses allow students to earn concurrent credit hours. Some of courses available to students are algebra III, AP World History, AP Literature and many others.

But, students must pay a fee for each concurrent credit course that they take. On average, each course is $50, but a few of the courses are $100.

“Paying $50 now is a lot cheaper than thousands of dollars later,” Sandlin said.

In September, students or their parent/guardian should have received a letter from UALR, listing the concurrent credit courses the student will participate in. No matter if the student achieves and “A” in the concurrent credit course, he must pay the fee to earn that courses’ hours. The family can pay in five different ways: mailing a check to UALR, credit care online, credit card over the phone, credit card by mail or paying cash in person at the cashier’s office on the main campus in Little Rock.

The final payment is due December first.

If a student wishes to know which courses he is eligible for, he can contact Lynn Harrison at 501-653-5075. For questions regarding the UALR process, contact Rosalie Cheatham, UALR Coordinator for Concurrent Credit.