• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Kris Reese
Kris Reese
Reporter

Meet Kris. As a senior this year, Kris hopes to explore photography on The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Kris has a calling to the fine arts. She’s well known in the band as she is a captain...

Road to playoffs

Seniors offensive linemen Josh Earls and Jacob Ward attempt to dumb the cooler on head coach Paul Calley after the team's 21-17 victory against El Dorado Nov. 8. The win clinched the 7A/6A South conference title and the second seed of the playoffs.
Seniors offensive linemen Josh Earls and Jacob Ward attempt to dumb the cooler on head coach Paul Calley after the team’s 21-17 victory against El Dorado Nov. 8. The win clinched the 7A/6A South conference title and the second seed of the playoffs.

The football team captured the 7A/6A South title Nov. 8 with its thrilling win over El Dorado, 21-17.

The team (7-3) capped off a five-game win streak by ending the five-team race to the conference championship that included the Wildcats (5-5), Lake Hamilton (7-3) and Pine Bluff (6-3-1). Head coach Paul Calley said he knew in order to win the conference, the team would have to win out after their (2-3) start at the first half of the season.

“I think it shows you that perseverance, dedication and discipline pay off,” Calley said. “We could’ve folded when we were two and three, but we did what we had to do to get better, continued to get better and put five in a row together to finish with a respectable season.”

While Calley said he’s excited for the team, their reaction to the game was cause for concern.

“Everybody started to panic. I guess it’s because our coaching staff is used to playing in the 7A Central, where every game is going to be tight,” he said. “But, playing the 7A/6A South, having so many blowout wins, the kids don’t get accustomed to tight ball games and how to overcome adversity and mistakes. It almost costs us because it snowballed.”

Despite the team’s 4-point lead, players seemed defeated, something Calley said has to be improved. Friday’s win clinched the second seed of the playoffs, guaranteeing the team a bye week and a home game against the winner of the North Little Rock-Rogers Heritage game. And while Calley said he’s excited, he believes this problem has to be solved for the team to be successful.

“It’s something we have got to get over because everybody that’s left now is good. Everyone has the ability to get up on you quickly if you make a mistake,” he said. “If you hope to have any chance to win, you have to be able to deal with that the right way- calmly, collectively- and maintain your confidence level.”

Calley compared the team to 2009, when the Hornets played Ft. Smith Southside. The team took a 21-7 lead at halftime and led much of the third quarter until the Rebels tied the game from two turnovers. When the team lost to the eventual state champions, 24-35, Calley knew adversity tore the team apart and related that to the game against El Dorado.

“We were up at halftime by four points, and there were people having meltdowns,” he said. “You can’t do that hope to go any deeper in the playoffs.”

Since the Arkansas Athletic Association started the bye week system in the playoffs five years ago, this is the team’s first year to sit out the first week. Calley said they plan to mostly prepare for North Little Rock because of its multiple defensive looks.

Calley said personnel changes in the defense and field position were the keys to turning the season around.

“We got more stops, we won the battle of field position and forced people to kick the ball to midfield,” he said. “That’s when we started holding people to zero and started scoring points.”

Other 7A teams across the state, specifically ones bumped out of the tournament, have blamed the team’s weaker schedule for their success, which Calley said he understands.

“I hate that because our league we play in is not as tough as the West, but Bryant nor our players chose that path,” he said. “It was chosen for us, so we’re doing what we’re told to do, and we’re doing it how they told us to do.”

He also said his team has been in the same position before and accepts the AAA system.

The football team will play either North Little Rock or Rogers Heritage Fri., Nov. 22, to potentially reach the 7A State Championship with two wins that could include top-ranked Cabot (10-0) or Fayetteville (8-2).

To see the playoff bracket, click here.