Meet Alyssa. Alyssa is a junior this year and is a reporter for The Prospective. Other than newspaper, Alyssa is the Networking Manager for FBLA and is also a member of Beta Club and FCCLA. After high...

Game of Thrones: You Should Be Watching

In the last issue of the paper, I reviewed HBO’s critically acclaimed series “Girls.” Watching it was an exhausting, irritating experience. In the last issue of the paper, I reviewed HBO’s critically acclaimed series “Girls.” Watching it was an exhausting, irritating experience. long after, spring break came and, with nothing to do, I binge-watched another HBO hit that various people recommended to me, “Game of Thrones.” But watching “Game of Thrones” was an entirely different experience.

It was thrilling.

Despite “Game of Thrones” being deeply rooted in fantasy, it offered a more human, more believable experience than “Girls” ever did. Not only is it an incredible fantasy epic, it’s a stirring drama. Oh, and it has warring kingdoms. What’s not to love?

The basic premise of this show is impossible to explain because nothing about this show can be summed up to anything close to “basic.” There are ever-shifting alliances and several characters’ motives are largely ambiguous. But ultimately the major plot points are who will rule the seven kingdoms of the fictional continent Westeros and the mysterious threat in the north.

Every episode of the first two seasons had me at the edge of my seat. By the time I had finished the first two seasons, I was left hungering for more. Luckily for me, I needed only wait a couple weeks for the premiere of the third season March 31.

Miraculous storytelling aside, “Game of Thrones” also boasts the most impressive set design, costuming and effects on TV. Period. No doubt because of its enormous budget (FIND OUT BUDGET SIZE). In short, you need to be watching this show. I’m tempted to call it a mandatory television experience.

“Game of Thrones” has received flak for its…extensive use of nudity for storytelling, even creating a new portmanteau: “sexposition.” Let me be one to say: yes, there is a lot of nudity to be seen. This is NOT a show to watch with parents.

But, I beg you, if you don’t find the copious amounts of nakedness just another reason to watch this show (for those preferring those with Y chromosomes, there are several pretty men on the show as well), don’t let it turn you off. Finding an incredible balance of nerdy, fantasy goodness and true dramatic appeal, along with its lavish budget, “Game of Thrones” is a must see, no matter what your genre preferences.