Meet Elijah. Elijah is a sophomore this year and is excited to experience everything high school has to offer. He is a trumpet player for Bryant High’s award winning band. He’s been to loads...

More than a game

In one form or another, athletics have always perched at the top of social stature, promising a sense of honor, glory and the true display of courage, men and women putting their bodies on the line to defeat each other. The talent, dedication and determination developed through sports are exceptional in the mental and physical challenge.

But, like anything else, the idea of sports attracted scrutiny. People bought into the idea that our school, or any school for that matter, focuses more on the “meatheads” on the field than the students in the classroom. We’ve all heard the common stereotype, every man’s dream is to see his boy grow up to be the starting quarterback, regardless what that kid may do in school or the mistakes he’ll make in life. The stereotype says that because football or any other sport requires physical talent and highlights masculinity, it holds no value for intelligence and teaches kids nothing about life.

Any sport has the potential to change lives. It teaches more than dedication or a tough work ethic. As an athlete, it’s given me a sense of brotherhood among my teammates. Even though people roll their eyes every time they hear it, football to me is more than just a game. Not because I love it. Not because I’m told to love it. But because it’s an experience that cannot be recreated by anything else in the world.

If I played the game strictly to play, I would’ve quit years ago. But, the idea of a group of teenage boys struggling together as one to be the best fascinates me. It’s kept me going day after day, workout after workout, game after game. Knowing that no matter what I do, my teammates will always be there for me to reach that dream. That’s why I do what I do.

As a student, I’ve had to make some sacrifices for football. I’ve given up the opportunity of Governor’s School, upsetting a number of people close to me. They’ve never understood how football could mean so much to me, and I’ll never expect them to. And while I may regret not taking an academic opportunity that may help me in the long run, I’ve learned to live with that. But, I cannot live with the regret of breaking a bond with these guys that’s deeper than any average school-day relationship could hope to create.

It’s exceptional to see every player, physically and mentally preparing himself for a team. No number of words can recreate that feeling. No other high school experience can draw out my emotions like football can. It’s so much more than a ball and testosterone. It’s the type of brotherhood that few if any other opportunities in life could replace.