Meet Annabel. Annabel is a sophomore this year, and this is her third year in Journalism, but first year on The Prospective. She is a major fan of The Walking Dead and Taylor Swift. Annabel plans...

Swim prepares for state

Sophomore Minki King finished first in the 200-yard freestyle event at district | parker pamplin photo

The swim team had a successful season, claiming first in its district meet with 418 points. As the state meet draws near, Feb. 22 and 23, the swimmers and divers reflected on their performance at district and further expectations for the state championships.

Senior Casey Ball was impressed with the team’s district outing.

“District was honestly, pretty amazing,” Ball said. “It was our last meet to swim together as an entire team for the high school. We made so many memories that night, it’s a good last meet to have gone out on.”

Ball finished among the top of the 200-yard freestyle relay event with sophomores Andrew Ball and Minki Kang and freshman Ray Wheldon. Ball plans to swim relay with Kang and senior Nick Hoffpauir at state.

“I think my relays will go really well,” said Ball. “But, as far as a person placing top, I’m willing to bet that Minki Kang’s going to start breaking some state times.”

Hoffpauir said he was proud of his contribution at district.

“I thought I did pretty well,” he said. “I shaved some time on my events, and overall it helped give us points to win.”

Hoffpauir finished third in the 500-yard freestyle event, followed by freshman Ryan West and junior Spencer Qualls. Freshman Trace Rhode finished second in the same event.

The team’s diving squad made a vital contribution as sophomore Justin Combs finished second and sophomore Lucas Reitenger third.

“Everyone has stepped up and done their part to make the best of it and to better the team for another district win, four in a row,” Combs said.

Hoffpauir said he believes the younger athletes of the swim team will step up for state.

“I’ve seen a lot of the freshmen really grow this year, and I think they’re really going to give it their all,” he said.

The diving state championship will be Fri., Feb. 22 while swim will be Sat., Feb. 23. Both events will be held the University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Sophomore Andrew Ball competed in the 200-yard freestyle relay event at district | parker pamplin photo