• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Koen. Koen is a senior this year, and this is his first year on The Prospective staff. He likes hiking and going outdoors and is interested in all things nature. He also likes movies, and he...

Goshien top wrestler in 160-lb. class

by Cade Howard.

When the wrestling team took on the Central Tigers last Friday, it was familiar territory for junior Connor Goshien. Goshien knew going into the duel that he would be facing off against his rival and current number one 160-lb. wrestler in the state, senior Luis Pena.

Since last summer Goshien and Pena have wrestled eight times. The first time the two wrestled, Pena pinned Goshien. After this loss Goshien was able to reel off four straight wins against Pena, all of these matches took place during the summer.

When the two squared off for the first time during the school season, Pena was able to defeat Goshien. The next time the two wrestled was in the semifinals of the CAC tournament, Goshien was coming off of an injury and Pena was in midseason form. Pena defeated Goshien without any problems.

When it was time for the two to wrestle at the duel Jan. 27, Goshien had fully recovered from his injury and Pena was on a 34-match win streak. Goshien was able to jump ahead to a four to two lead after the first two rounds. Goshien knew all he had to do was hold on to his 2- point lead and he would become the number one 160-lb. wrestler in the state.

“Going into the final round, I knew I had to work hard,” Goshien said “I couldn’t let him get me on my back.”

Goshien was able to hold Pena off in the final round and win the match 4 to 2.

Goshien is now the top 160-lb. wrestler in the state and will be first seed in the conference tournament this Saturday.

“Winning this match gives me a lot of confidence going into the conference tournament, I know I can beat him [Pena] now,” Goshien said.