Republican Debate Recap

Alexis Burch, Writer

The third GOP debate was held Oct. 28 at the University of Colorado. Its intended focus was on economy, fiscal and monetary policy. However, the conversation shifted to a range of topics.

Ben Carson was unusually quiet throughout the debate. At one point, he spoke up about one of the stereotypes formed against the Republican party: that they are homophobes.

Senior Ashlyn Taylor believes this negative association is the fault of just a few.

“I think a lot of people believe what they hear. They just think, ‘Well, so-and-so said this, so it must be true,’” Taylor said. “I do think that we get a bad rep of being homophobes and bigots, and I don’t think that’s necessarily right. I’m sure there are a few [homophobes], but I don’t think the whole Republican [Party] should get that reputation as a whole.”

Businessman Donald Trump brought up his plans to make Mexico pay for a wall on the border separating Mexico and the United States.

Junior Andrew James does not find the approach realistic.

“He’s entertaining to watch, but I don’t think [Trump’s] ideas are that great,” James said. “It’d be good to have some way to stop so many illegal immigrants, but Trump’s way is just not going to appeal to many people. It would create many jobs, but it would also be a massive undertaking, costing millions or billions of dollars that our country probably doesn’t have.”

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush believes people are rewarded for saying harmful things about the United States and that it is impossible for him to fake anger against the country. Junior Allie Studdard agrees.

“I believe that there are faults in our government and the way that it’s run, but I also believe that we live in an amazing country,” Studdard said. “By creating this sort of bad image of the country, we lose loyalty, which makes us weaker and easier to take over.”

Texas Sen. Ted Cruz’ tax plan was ranked number one by the Tax Foundation. Under his plan, there would be a single tax rate of 10%, and for a family of four, the first $36,000 would be tax free.

Senior Ben Majors believes Cruz’ plan is one of the best.

“I think his tax plan is good,” Majors said. “Especially for families with a low income who have a hard time providing for their family and maintaining a household. His plan is methodical and more thought out other than like Trump’s. He doesn’t have very much sympathy towards low-income families, because he has always lived so extravagant.”

There was obvious tension between Florida Sen. Marco Rubio and Bush. Bush repeatedly made jabs at Rubio, who soon got fed up and told Bush his campaign was about the future of America and not his rivalry with him.

Sophomore Jessica James would rather hear about more immediate issues.

“Too much time is being spent tearing each other down,” James said. “[The candidates] should spend their time saying how they’ll handle the real issues instead of pointing out the negatives in each other. They need to let the people know what they plan on doing.”