• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Ahna Allan
Ahna Allan
Reporter

Meet Ahna. Ahna is a senior this year. Outside of newspaper, Ahna spends most of her free time listening to music and spending time with her family. One of Ahna’s favorite things to do is help others....

Seasonal treats

Students gather seasonal snacks to welcome fall. | Paige Staggs photo

As students mark the end of summer and welcome the fall season, a must have celebration accessory is food and drink.

The anticipation of fall festivities has students craving pumpkin-flavored everything.

“I like anything that’s pumpkin flavored and it’s so hard to find because you only get pumpkin flavored stuff in the Thanksgiving and Christmas season so I just take as much as I can get,” Davis said.

Celebrating its 10-year anniversary, the pumpkin spice latte has resurfaced specifically for this season.

“There’s a pumpkin spice latte at McDonalds, but it’s not nearly as good as the one from Starbucks,” junior Lanie Davis said. “Starbucks has the best pumpkin spice lattes.”

This favorite is full of the unmistakable tastes of fall, including cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, topped with sweetened whip cream and pumpkin spices. There have been 29,000 tweets featuring the hash tag #pumpkinspice since August 2012.

“I get lattes at lot because I have study groups at Starbuck in the afternoons with my girlfriends and we’ll sit there and drink our lattes and study,” Davis said.

Pumpkin pie embodies the fall season. This traditionally sweet dessert symbolizes Halloween and harvest season.

“My grandma makes pumpkin pie from scratch every year for our Thanksgiving dinner,” Cole said. “They taste so good. I just love them.”

Candy pumpkin goes along with the pumpkin theme in fall. Small, pumpkin-shaped candies are easy to enjoy. Colored just like a regular pumpkin with orange base and a green stem, these sugary snacks are perfect around Halloween.

Cookies are popular year round and a good way to make them seasonal is to change the color and shape. For example, take a conventional sugar cookie and give it a twist. Color them with fall colors such as orange, yellow and red, then make shape them like leaves. This keeps the taste of the traditional sugar cookie, but matches the seasonal theme.

Another way of incorporating fall into a good, old-fashioned taste is to make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. Spiced pumpkin cookies that are soft, chewy and dotted with chocolate chips will work well with a fall spread.

Last, but not least, there’s always candy corn. This is possibly the most popular of all fall snacks and has been around for more than 100 years.

“On the first day of October, I went to Walgreens and they were putting out Candy Corn and I just bought all seven bags of it,” senior Jeremy Wilson said. “The guy looked at me like I was really weird for buying so much, but then I went back and got more.”

Imitating the appearance of corn kernels as well as fall colors, Candy Corn is an instant favorite. Pumpkin heads will never refuse a chance to eat these lovely fall candies.

“Candy Corn is delicious. It’s just my favorite candy in autumn,” Wilson said.