Meet Eriel. Eriel is a sophomore this year, as well as a reporter for the Prospective. Eriel is a member of FBLA and Beta Club. After high school, she plans to go to college and purse a career in...

Cutting into Halloween

Pumpkins can be purchased at Mary's Pumpkin Patch on Highway 5. | photo emma barnes
    Pumpkins can be purchased at Mary’s Pumpkin Patch on Highway 5. | photo emma barnes

Hayrides, scarecrows, corn mazes and pumpkin carving highlight autumn.  Pumpkins with different colored paints, jewels and more accessorize front porches in town.

Anyone can learn how to carve a pumpkin. Not sure what tools to use, what to decorate the pumpkin with or how to make a certain design? The best part about carving a pumpkin is that you get to create a masterpiece with your own, personal style.

Picking the pumpkin is the first thing you need to do. Some may grow in a garden at home, but for others, there are several places in town where they are for sell. Bryant Wal-Mart sells pumpkins of all sizes and shapes. Located in a bin at the front of the store, they’re ready to purchase. All of their pumpkins range in price from $1-$10.

Mary’s Pumpkin Patch, located on Hwy. 5, sells deep orange, green, yellow and white pumpkins. The most important thing to look at while purchasing a pumpkin is to look at the stem of the pumpkin to tell if it is fresh or not.

“We always get our pumpkins from Mary’s Place,” junior Layne Huddleston said. “They have a ton of pumpkins. We always enjoy going,” Huddleston said.

Once you clean out the pumpkin, it’s time to carve. Pumpkin carving sets are available at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, Party City and many other local stores. Kits can include small utensils of cutting knifes, edgers and circle-cutters. But, for those who prefer carving pumpkins the easy way, will need is a Sharpie and a sharp knife. With the Sharpie, draw any design you would like on your pumpkin. Then, use the knife to cut and into the pumpkin to make your drawing really pop.

Junior Kaylee Klava decided to decorate her pumpkin with her own unique style.

“One year, I remember using duct tape on the outside of my pumpkin,” Klava said.

Decorating a pumpkin is all about being creative. You can decorate it with anything you want. Feather, jewels, paint, buttons and even glitter can be used on a pumpkin.

To keep your pumpkin staying fresh, purchase bleach, vinegar, lemon juice and patrolmen jelly. Cleaning your pumpkin out with bleach, vinegar and lemon juice kills any bacteria in the pumpkin.