• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Meet Kenzie. Kenzie is a senior this year and is a reporter for The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Kenzie is captain of the Legacy of Bryant's Colorguard. She is an active volunteer in her community...

A letter from the editor

Dear readers, Prospective Staff, and others,

Serving as editor of the Prospective Online this past year has been the highlight of my high school career. I have enjoyed not only traveling and winning awards with this amazing staff, but serving the school and the surrounding community. Knowing our online presence has made a major impact on the high school experience in Bryant has made this all the more worthwhile.

Viewers, thank you for being so diligent in reading our stories and browsing our photos and videos. Without you all, our site would mean nothing. This site’s purpose is not simply to win awards, but to serve you, the students, and have another avenue to tell the stories of those who walk these halls. We won’t always have high school, but we will always have our stories, our memories, to remind us of this time in our lives. Recording these stories and sharing them with the student body has been a task again I thank you for bestowing on us. Truly, it has been a pleasure.

Prospective staff, I could not have been more honored to work alongside such a talented group of people. You are all amazing; each person on this staff has special talents and abilities unique to only you. Each story on our site is sprinkled with the unique personality of each writer and photographer. There hasn’t been a story yet that I have read and think, “That could’ve been better,” because you all give 110 percent. As an editor, work ethic like that makes my job even more rewarding. Thank you for all of your hard work.

At the beginning of this school year, it was tough realizing someone would have to take my place when I graduate. I feel that Robann and Haven will handle the duties of online editors with ease. Jacob and Jessica, I have no doubt in my mind you will take our print paper to a new level just as Jake and Ashton did. My advice for all four of you: make your mark. You don’t have to start from scratch, but make it you, and by make it you I mean take each paper and construct it so that there is no mistaking what staff built it. Robann and Haven, same to you. Each year needs to bring something new to the table and I can’t wait to see what awesome things you talented journalists have in mind. Paige, I haven’t forgotten you. Photo and video editor, two positions that will drive you nuts, but you will rock them both. Both come so naturally to you, and that blows my mind. You can do something, not think it’s very good, but I see it and think, “Is this what she was stressing over?” You are a talented photographer and videographer; I can’t wait to see the Friday night highlights and interviews you have planned for next year.

Breathe future editors, next year is yours. Each of you bring such a unique flavor to the table, but they all work so well. Next year’s publications do not have to be perfect, like Sorrows says, “There is no perfect paper; you just have to go to press.” Don’t strive for absolute perfection, you will drive yourselves insane; instead, strive to be better than you were this year. Keep this year in mind when writing down your goals for the next year. Put them on a post in on your computer and read them everyday. When you keep your goals in mind, it is easier to make a plan to reach them.

Being an editor is stressful at times, trust me, but how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Take each posting period and each print paper one bite at a time. Don’t overwhelm yourselves by feeling like everything has to be done in a week or a few days. Chances are it won’t be done in that short amount of time and you will be stressed all over again. Rome wasn’t built in a day and neither was an award-worthy publication.

Current and future staff members, be a sponge. When you go to Dallas camp in the summer and convention in the fall, don’t just take classes so you can tell Sorrows you did. Pick ones that really interest you. I can attribute some of the best things I have learned from the speakers in those classes. Take a notebook and a pen, put the phone down, and listen. It will make you a better journalist, promise. Also, listen to Sorrows-isms as if life depended on it because your journalism life kind of does. If a few really get to you (which they all will), write it down, or better yet, tweet it. Don’t forget to tag Sorrows in it though so she can retweet it. That’s her favorite thing. Always get there early for trips; don’t be a slug. Take pictures of sleeping staff members on bus rides; Sorrows loves those as well. Funny videos are always accepted. Actually read the list, and then don’t do anything stupid to get on the list. Sorrows will immortalize your stupidity by putting it on the list for future members to laugh at and learn from. Everything else you need to know is on the list, or you will learn along the way. I don’t want to spoil all the surprises!

My high school journalism career has been a trip. At times I think, “Man I wish I could do it over again,” but then I remember that every beautiful day has an end, college is a new sunrise and a new day to appreciate. Cherish these moments; cherish your fellow staff members. Go get those Gold Crowns next year guys. Wear the crown; be the crown; you are the crown! Take these publications to new heights. Make your mark on our hometown, and make your mark on our school.