• May 9The Bryant Choir's Spring Concert, Legends of Rock 'n' Roll, was very successful and the program made $4000 from the performances
  • May 9Graduation is being held at War Memorial Stadium at 10 AM on May 18.
  • May 9Students can attend an APUSH study session located in the MPR on Thur. May 9.

Meet Katie. Katie is a sophomore this year, however, she isn't new to Journalism. This will be her 4th year in Journalism and 3rd in newspaper. She has won some awards including national ones. Outside...

CAP meetings move students foward

Every Wednesday students wake up bemoaning at the realization of another CAP day.

So, what is CAP for? Career Action Plan is a chance for teachers to implement a variety of things students will need as they reach graduation.

Over the summer the CAP team, a volunteer-based group of teachers, along with Testing Coordinator Elevelyn Butler, Career Counselor Amy Oury and RTI (Response to Intervention) combined curriculum.

“We combined career focused and remedial skills into CAP class once a week,” Butler said.

Karen Mitcham, secondary learning specialist, helps with the English curriculum and Hope Allen, math specialist helps with the math curriculum for CAP. Oury supplies the career-oriented curriculum.

“We also use the weekly CAP days to make sure our students aren’t falling between the cracks with grades/attendance. The smaller classes permit the CAP advisors to carefully monitor student progress and address any areas of concern,” Asst. Principal Rachel Rasburry said.

The ninth grade counselors, Lisa McKinney and Gayle Winkle, prepare the curriculum the Freshman Academy CAP sessions.

Oury said the team used suggestions from students last year to form the curriculum for CAP.

“We are always open for suggestions on subjects to talk about in CAP and speakers,” Oury said.

With CAP conferences March 28, CAP classes will be focused on choosing classes for next year for the next few weeks.

“We plan to keep CAP sessions once a week next year. We’re not sure how it will work with the AB block scheduling, we’re still figuring that out,” Butler said.