• May 9The Bryant Choir's Spring Concert, Legends of Rock 'n' Roll, was very successful and the program made $4000 from the performances
  • May 9Graduation is being held at War Memorial Stadium at 10 AM on May 18.
  • May 9Students can attend an APUSH study session located in the MPR on Thur. May 9.

Meet Sydney. Sydney is a senior this year, as well as one of the editors for The Prospective. Outside of newspaper, Sydney fills a leadership role within Bryant High's choir program as their Historian....

Wrestling team comes in 6th in state tournament

anna stearns photoThe stakes were high for four seniors as they entered the UALR Jack Stephens Center for the final time they would compete in the state wrestling tournament.

“When we walked in the second day, it really dawned on us…  Going out there for the finals and everyone’s back in the tunnel, and it’s literally me Connor and Zack, and we’re just looking around knowing that ‘this is the last time I will ever wrestle,’ and that is just a very singular moment.  It’s something you can look back on and know that this is the last time, and it was incredibly frightening and freeing at the same time,” senior Levi Brady said.

Senior Brett Blend, who placed sixth, finished the tournament with a concussion.

“I mean, I’m a senior, and I didn’t really want to finish with a concussion in sixth place…  But as of now, I know that I have the most single season wins and the most concussions in one season,” Blend said.

The wrestling team finished in sixth place out of 22 teams.  Senior Connor Goshien finished second, after being pinned by the undefeated Tyler Mann at the 1:30 mark in the 160-pound division.  Also finishing second, senior Zack Simmons was defeated by Fayetteville’s Rodney Ensley in the 126-pound division.

“Getting to the finals was kind of my finals.  I just wanted to get there.  I was best friends with the guy who won [Tyler Mann], and that dude’s the best in the state.  I mean, I’m a little disappointed, yeah, but it was kind of expected,” Goshien said.

Hopes are high next season, even though the team is losing its four seniors.

“I plan on winning it [the tournament] next year.  I wasn’t as dedicated as I could have been, and next year I’m going all out…  We had a lot of potential this season, and we have a lot of good people graduating, but we’ll definitely be in the mix,” junior Austin May said.

Other wrestlers that placed were sophomore Kyle Thompson, who finished third in the 160-pound division, junior Ben Freeman, who lost by decision in the championship round, and May, who placed sixth.