• April 23On April 20th, Bryant Honeybees won 1st place for Large Women’s Chorus and Camerata won 2nd place for Large mixed Choir.
  • April 23This Friday, students will have the opportunity to hear the last difference speaker Kevin Reynolds who will detail his executive experiences with careers in civil engineering/steel fabrication. Students can hear him during their advisory in the MPR

Meet David. David is a reporter for The Prospective Newspaper. He’s both a state and national award-winning journalist. He’s been on and worked for several publications for the Bryant School District,...

High school involvement in presidential elections

lauren sanders photo

Students all around the world have specific opinions on political elections. Some schools were more informative than others when telling students what they needed to know about the political election.

“In our school we got together and they have a whole discussion about a topic called town hall, so before the elections they have students study the presidential candidates and they had a whole debate,” yearbook adviser Potch Skaist said.

Most high schools only focused on the date of the election and who the presidential candidates are.

Many schools perform mock elections in their schools. Ty Bunnell of Marshfield High School said that the mock elections did not help him form an opinion. The students feel they need more information so they can get an idea of whom they want to win.

“We need more prior knowledge to be able to know who we want to vote for,” Bunnell said.

In some schools only the journalism team informed their peers and those are the schools who were not involved. For Plano High School their publication was the only thing that informed their school about the election however; it is unknown how many of the students had read their newspaper.

“Our publication printed information about it but nothing school wide,” Alyssa Matesic said.

As citizens, students have or will eventually have the right to vote, but how the information about presidential elections is presented to them varies. Some students may not even have the information they need to form a valid opinion about the election.

lauren sanders photo