• April 17The first period Social Studies classes gathered in Hornet Arena this morning to give teacher Ricky Manes the Teacher of the Year Award. Manes is a U.S History, AP Research, Civics and Holocaust & Human Behavior teacher. He was chosen out of the 13 and was given the award by administration.
  • April 15In celebration of Military Child Month, Bryant School District asks that everyone wear purple on Wednesday, April 17th to celebrate and showcase respect for military families.

Meet Teagan. Teagan is a sophomore and this is her first year on The Prospective. When not tending to newspaper duties, she enjoys reading and progressing in her writing projects. She’s an aspiring...

Holiday treats: How to make cake pops

Made most popular by the coffee shop franchise Starbucks, cake pops are a new sweet on the scene just in time for

home made cake pops made by junior shelby burchfield | paige staggs photo

this holiday season.

The pops are practically cake balls, yet on a stick. It’s every sweet tooth dream; portable cake. What’s not to like about this delectable treat? They are more than just cake balls on a stick; they are whatever the creator wants them to be. Once you dip them in icing, they can be decorated as reindeer, turkeys, or just dipped in nuts or any other topping.

Junior Shelby Burchfield said she enjoys making them in her free time.

“My friend and I felt like being a baker for a day, so we made cake pops because they were so easy to make,” Burchfield said.

If you’re interested in make them here are the ingredients and the process for chocolate cake pops.

Ingredients for Cake Balls

2 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1 tsp baking soda

¾ tsp salt

½ tsp baking powder

½ cup room temperature butter

1-cup room temperature water

½ cup milk

1 Tbsp vanilla

5 oz dark chocolate, melted and cooled

2 eggs

First, preheat the oven to 350F and flour 2 cake tins. Next, mix all the ingredients until the mixture is smooth, and then pour them into a cake tin. Leave them in the oven until a toothpick can slide out without batter on it. Once they are cool enough to handle, shape the cake around a lollipop stick into balls.

Ingredients for Frosting

1-cup butter

4cups sugar

2 Tbsp vanilla

2 oz dark chocolate, melted and cooled

2 Tbsp cold water

Mix all these ingredients into a spreadable, smooth frosting. Spread the frosting around the cake pops and leave them out for the frosting to stiffen. To decorate, don’t wait for the frosting to stiffen before dipping them in the topping of choice.