Wrestlers Finish Senior Season

Mellor, Taylor & Turner reflect on high school careers

Courtesy of Josh Mellor

At the state wrestling tournament, sophomore Presley Givens takes down an opponent. Givens was the only female wrestler on the team.

Anna Barnes, Staff Writer

Between the abrupt ending of last year’s season and the start of their current season, seniors on the wrestling team have had a tough wrestling experience. However,  even with the challenges they have faced, the seniors have enjoyed their years on the team. 

When attending senior night, senior wrestler Joshua Mellor celebrated by reminiscing about his time on the team. 

“My favorite moment with the team has probably been when we went to the Fayetteville tournament,” Mellor said. “It was always the biggest tournament of the year, filled with bonding time for the entire team.” 

Senior Kevin Taylor agreed. 

“The best part of being on the team is messing around with everyone during practice,” he said. 

There has also been some adversity for the wrestlers on the team. Senior Nolan Turner has experienced injuries from wrestling. 

“I’ve had an interesting wrestling experience this year,” Turner said. “Not only has the pandemic limited the season, but I was also diagnosed with a concussion, so there has definitely been a lot against me this season.”

Many successful wrestlers in high school go on to wrestle in college. Wrestling is a growing sport with many open spots for future competitors. 

“I have gotten a couple of offers,” Mellor said. “But I’m taking my time in deciding what I want to do.”   

As the sport continues to grow, Turner encourages students to join wrestling. 

“Anyone can be a wrestler,” Turner said. “There is nothing more rewarding that I have experienced than accomplishing a goal because of the hard work I’ve put into this sport. Just try it. You’ll never know if you don’t try.”