New Literature Magazine

Back to Article
Back to Article

New Literature Magazine

Students can submit original works to the literature magazine, including poetry, short stories, and artwork.

Hunter High

Hunter High

Hunter High

Natasha Arendt

A new club, the literature magazine, holds a promising future at Bryant High School. Any student will soon be able to submit artwork, poetry and short stories to be published online or in print. Those in the club help review those materials, decide what qualifies for publication, put together the print publication and maintain the future website. Creative writing workshops will help the club’s members improve their own writing skills.

“A lit mag is really just a celebration of creativity,” English teacher Samantha White said. “You are working with people who are interested in art, they’re interested in writing, they’re interested in music, they’re interested in just being creative.”

White, along with English teacher Caroline Earleywine and art teacher Patricia Graves, are helping to form and maintain the new club. White is optimistic about the future of the literature magazine.

“I have very big ideas [about] what I want lit mag to become… eventually, what I hope for the lit mag is for it to be something as big as yearbook, as big as the newspaper, something that is very commonly talked about on campus.” White said.

She hopes to use the Literature Magazine’s future website to publish more creative media than just art, poetry, and short stories, including students’ own musical compositions and recordings of their own theatrical performances.

However, for that to become a reality, the literature magazine needs funding. White has proposed ideas to support students’ creative endeavours.

“I have an idea for a fundraiser I want us to do,” White said. “What I would like to do is sell tickets for people who would be interested in [donating] to see a teacher get [a pie thrown in their] face.”

White says an attempt was made to start a literature magazine two years ago, but it never really got off the ground. Earleywine, Graves, and White are determined not to let that happen again.

“You know, [literature magazine should be] that one place where it’s like, ‘Hey, let’s look at all these Bryant High School kids and just celebrate how amazing and creative they are in all these different ways,” White said. “I guess what I should say is, I want to build on the [creative] community that’s already here.”