Sports Buzz: July 29-August 4

Steve Griffith

From the left Freshman Caitlin LaCerra, Junior Meredith Medford and Junior Brooklyn Waller pose with their second place trophy at the North Little Rock Invitational

Chris Morgan, Writer

Boys Golf at El Dorado:

Opening their season July 30, the Hornets took the road to play in the annual Simmons Bank Invitational. Senior Clayton Harbor led the team 3 over par, with a score of 74, earning an individual award for his effort. Harbor was followed by junior Logan McDonald and senior Brendon Morton, both finishing with 79 strokes. The Hornets’ final scorer, sophomore Andrew Gaspar, finished with a score of 80. Senior Landon Allison rounded out his 18-holes with a score of 85. The team finished with a cumulative score of 312 and a second place finish, two points behind Lakeside.

Girls Golf at El Dorado:

The Lady Hornets looked to start off their season with a strong placing in El Dorado. The team was led by junior Meredith Medford, who shot her way to 116. Medford was followed by junior Leighton Crawley with a score of 136. Final scorer sophomore Anna Barnes finished the day with a score of 137. Overall, the Lady Hornets received a combined score of 350, but could not keep up with champion Sheridan, which posed a team score of 301.

Boys Golf at North Little Rock:

Playing at Sherwood’s North Hills golf course, the Hornets took the I-30 trip to the Charging Wildcats Invitational. The Aug. 3 tournament had new faces for the Hornets, as senior Clayton Harbor could not play. Senior Brendon Morton led the team with a score of 80, highlighted by an eagle on hole one, a birdie on 12 and seven holes for par. Senior Landon Allison improved on his placing from El Dorado and finished his day at 81 strokes with a birdie on 12 and 16, with seven holes for par. Junior Logan McDonald finished his day with an 85 round, followed by 88 points from both sophomore Andrew Gaspard and freshman Daniel Taylor, who competed in his first tournament ever to replace Harbor. Head coach Steve Griffith acknowledged the “slow” day but remained optimistic. “We are building for September, what we shoot today does not impact us greatly it is still all about improving,” he said.

Girls Golf at North Little Rock:

The Lady Hornets looked as though they were a brand new team bringing in two new faces for the tournament. The most talked-about player for the day was freshman Caitlin LaCerra, who scored a 94 in her first tournament and was one of the tournament’s top scorers. Junior Brooklyn Waller finished second for the Lady Hornets with 103 strokes. Meredith Medford earned a personal best game of 107, improving nine strokes from El Dorado. The team finished second with 304 strokes behind Cabot’s 276. “The girls played great today,” head coach Steve Griffith said. “They all produced good scores, it is the first time in a few years we are going to have a competitive girls team.”