Gays Going for Gold

Jaiden Purifoy

Senior Emily Clark holds up a pride flag.

Maxton Preuninger, Writer

2016 brought the death of 49 people in Orlando at the Pulse nightclub. 2017 brought bathroom battles and decreased workplace discrimination protections. The past two years have brought crippling fear to the hearts of the LGBT+ community. At the end of 2017, things seemed like they might only continue down the same slippery slope, but things finally seem to be looking up.

2018 will be the year of the gays.

The year has started with a bang, as the third season of RuPaul’s “Drag Race All Stars” premiered Jan. 25, filling 2018 with all tea and all shade early on. “All Stars” brings back some of the most iconic drag queens for another go at the crown, and it could not be more of a crucial contributor to modern gay culture.

While drag queens are baring it all on screen, 14 Olympians are showing their true colors while hitting the ice and snow at the 2018 Winter Olympics. These golden gays are speaking out about their sexualities and making history.

American figure skater Adam Rippon has charmed audiences with his looks and skill, becoming the first openly gay American athlete to medal in an event. Snatching a bronze medal in team figure skating, Rippon has not only made history on the ice, but has also been breaking stereotypes, delivering the real facts with a side of sass.

The pinned tweet on Rippon’s twitter posted Dec. 27, states, “I was recently asked in an interview what it’s like to be a gay athlete in sports. I said that it’s exactly like being a straight athlete. Lots of hard work but usually done with better eyebrows.”

The Olympics aren’t the only games happening this year–the 10th Gay Games will be held in Paris Aug. 4-12. The games occur every four years and represent over 70 countries, hosting around 15,000 participants.

While the first few months of 2018 have proved to be a time for gays to thrive in sports, 2018 is sure to hold more for the LGBT community in the media, with the film “Love, Simon” coming out March 16. With a promising trailer, “Love, Simon” seems to normalize gay relationships in high school, something that has yet to come to the screen.

Even though there are bound to be troubled times ahead for the LGBT+ community, the first two months of 2018 have shown that this will be the year that we thrive. As Olympic freestyle skier Gus Kenworthy said, “We’re here. We’re queer. Get used to it.”