No Guns On Campus

Julia Nall, Print Editor

This speech was intended for the hearing on Arkansas HB 1249, which would require all colleges in Arkansas to allow concealed carry permit holders to carry guns on campus. However, debate on the bill ended before I could speak.
My name is Julia Nall. I’m a senior at Bryant High School, I’ll be attending the University of Arkansas in the fall, and am the daughter of a teacher at University of Central Arkansas.
I’m here today on behalf the underclassmen in my Young Democrats chapter who are having to re-evaluate their college choices because of this bill. I am here on behalf of my future classmates. And I am here on behalf of my mother.
A a member of a relatively rural community, I understand the argument for gun rights in regards to public safety.
This a threat to the safety and security of the schools and communities, and it is offensive to suggest that legislators know more about the safety of students than the dedicated administrators, professors, and law enforcement who serve them every day. I trust my future institution and their law enforcement more than that. I’d hope you would too. I have a hard time believing that the introduction of this bill is respectful to the universities and their wishes, especially considering that all but one school in Arkansas opposes this. I have a hard time believing this isn’t a purely political move motivated by the NRA.
More importantly, I’m concerned about my mom.
She teaches composition at the University of Central Arkansas. If this bill were to pass and there was an active shooter on campus, they would first go after who they would assume to be potentially armed- in this case, my mother.
I don’t think the slim potential of slightly increased possible security based on outdated research is worth the risk of losing my mother. I don’t know that much of anything is worth that risk.
Thank you for your time.