March For Life

Photo from twitter account of Gov. Asa Hutchinson.

Jack Selig, Staff Writer

Hundreds of signs reading “Choose Life” and “Pro-Choice Kills” were held up at the 37th annual March for Life outside the state capitol in Little Rock Jan. 22. High School students from all over the state attended to speak out and stand up against abortion.

“I decided to march with my youth group, because I believe choosing pro-life is what is right for Arkansas,” sophomore Jarely Ramirez said. “I think people should stop choosing abortion, because God brought a child to that woman for a reason, and not for that child to be killed.”

Senior David Fulton felt compelled to march because of what he has been taught through religion.

“I am really for pro-life, and I think it is an important time to discuss it, so that is why I marched,” Fulton said. “I do believe in freedom to choose, but when it comes to the most innocent life, a baby’s life, I think that is where the line must be drawn.”

Junior Olivia Oswalt has participated in the March for Life with her mom and sister every year since she began middle school.

“I marched because pro-life is something that I strongly believe in,” Oswalt said. “Marching is a good way for all the women to come together and unify to stand up for something that we believe in.”

Marchers heard speeches on the steps of the capitol by many political leaders, including Gov. Asa Hutchinson, Sen. Tom Cotton and Rep. French Hill.

“The march was very exciting, and I was very happy to be around people who believe in the same values as me,” Ramirez said.

Fulton marched with fellow Bryant students and members of the youth group at Geyer Springs First Baptist Church.

“The atmosphere of the march was great, because everyone there was having a fun time supporting what they believed in,“ Fulton said. “It was very inspiring hearing from a woman who spoke about her first-hand experience that dealt with the conflict of abortion.”

Oswalt enjoyed the atmosphere of the march as well.

“There was a lot of singing and dancing going on while we were walking down the street,” Oswalt said. “That created a really positive feeling for us.”