Deputy Superintendent to Take Over Next Year

Jack Selig, Staff Writer

Dr. Tom Kimbrell announced that he will retire as superintendent after this school year at the school board meeting Nov. 17. Dr. Kimbrell will have served three years when he officially retires June 30, 2017, and he will be succeeded by Dr. Karen Walters, current Deputy Superintendent. Before being hired in July 2014, Dr. Kimbrell led the Arkansas Department of Education, and also served as superintendent in Paragould and North Little Rock.

“I have been contemplating retiring for about a year now,” Dr. Kimbrell said. “I think it is time now, because we have some things moving in the district for some youth to take over, and we also have some new energy and creativity. I think it also time for me to get back to my family and spend more time with them.”

One of Kimbrell’s toughest challenges throughout his tenure was responding to the failed millage in 2015.

“I was devastated when the millage did not pass last year,” Kimbrell said. “It has been tough ever since, and we have had to cut programs and be very conservative with our tax dollars. Although it did not pass, we have had time to develop a better plan now.”

Despite the failed millage, Kimbrell has continued to focus on the district’s future.

“What I hope people will remember is that we began to build the foundation for the future,” Kimbrell said. “The foundation is now laid, and we know what to do with our dollars, and we know that the community understands what we have to do here to take it to the next level.”

Kimbrell is also excited to see how the district advances under Walters.

“Having Dr. Walters become the new superintendent is a huge win for this district,” Kimbrell said. “She has tremendous experience and has had some experiences that have allowed her to understand the big picture. It is exciting to know that she can keep the momentum going here.”

One priority for Kimbrell in retirement is to spend more time fishing.

“I love to fish,” Kimbrell said. “I love cleaning and fixing fishing reels, and I am also getting into building custom handmade rods. I am really gonna focus on fishing and taking care of my family.”

Walters will take over as superintendent for the 2017/2018 school year.

“I am very excited, but also nervous to become the superintendent,” Walters said. “I am not as nervous, because Bryant is not a new district to me.”

Walter’s first plans as superintendent involve passing the millage in March.

“When the millage passes, the first year is going to be heavily focused on the buildings we are planning to build,” Walters said. “After the first year, it depends on our growth, but all changes will be geared towards making this district the best district in the state.”

For the most part, Walters will continue the plans and policies put in place by Kimbrell.

“There is not anything big that I want to change right now,” Walters said. “I think Dr. Kimbrell has us on a really good path, and what he has done with policies and beliefs has made it easy for me to step in. However, I believe everyone’s leadership style is different, and there may be things I do a little differently later on.”

Walters proposed meeting with students to give them a better insight on the plans the school has in the future.

“I would love to have a council of high school students that I would meet with on a quarterly basis, maybe three times a year,” Walters said. “I think meetings with these students will be a good way for students to have a voice directly to me, and I think that will be great for the secondary schools as well.”