Friends To Family

Nathan Bush, Staff Writer

The legacy of sophomore football player Randy Thomas is beginning to take shape. Thomas was known as a must-watch at Bethel Middle School, and last year as a freshman, he rushed for 1,700 yards and 30 touchdowns, both Hornet freshman records. Not only did he achieve record-setting rushing numbers, he also threw for 500 yards and five touchdowns. Thomas is now a return man and wide receiver for varsity and has continued his dominance, scoring four touchdowns this season as a sophomore. Thomas’ record-breaking statistics have propelled him to new heights, but still knows where his roots lie.

Thomas’ tightly knit group of friends has accompanied him on his journey for years. They depend on each other like brothers. Thomas has not always been handed the greatest cards, but his strong group of friends help him compensate for the hardships he has endured.

Sophomore Keethan Hudson is one of Thomas’ closest confidants. The two have been close friends since sixth grade, but the bond grew stronger after they became an electrifying duo on the field last season. The two scored 35 touchdowns together, and Hudson could not help but credit Thomas.

“I felt mostly comfortable when he was the quarterback,” Hudson said. “I loved being back there with him, because we both communicate so well with each other.”

Thomas’ circle doesn’t end with Hudson, as his friendship with sophomore Tyler O’Neal plays a huge part in his life. Whether working out together, playing football or simply hanging out and enjoying life, they are always in each other’s company. Not only does Thomas look at O’Neal as his brother, he looks at O’Neal’s dad John as a stable father figure. Thomas hasn’t seen his biological father since 2012.

“I don’t talk to him, I don’t see him, and I really don’t miss him,” Thomas said.

While Thomas may not have a biological father in his life, John O’Neal has been there to support Thomas for years.

“My dad gives Randy whatever he wants,” Tyler O’Neal said. “If Randy wants to go to lift, he takes him. If Randy wants to go eat, my dad takes him.”

These measures of kindness are the driving force behind why Thomas looks at O’Neal as a father figure. For a kid who has been forced to live without a fatherly presence, John being there is comforting for Thomas.

“John is crazy. He’s really funny, and I look at him like a dad,” Thomas said.

Thomas looks at sophomore C.J. Davis as another one of his closest friends. The two met each other through basketball, and while neither play for a team anymore, their friendship still remains strong.

“We’re always with each other,” Thomas said. “He’s kinda like my little brother in a way.”

Davis views Thomas in the same light.

“I depend on him to be there for me whenever I need him,” Davis said.

With this season coming to a close, Hornet fans can’t help but wonder what Thomas will be able to accomplish with holes opening in starting positions as seniors leave for college. The only thing that is certain is that Thomas’ group of friends, who have turned into his family, will be there for him no matter what.

“I love my friends like they were my brothers,” Thomas said. “The truth is, they are my brothers.”