Perception, Expression, Identity

Senior Nick Hammonds works on his artwork

Jake Roedel, Staff Writer

The artist touches the pencil to the blank white paper, beginning the journey of self-expression. An artist’s purpose in any work is to convey and inspire a certain feeling or emotion, whether it be through a drawing, painting or a sculpture. If the artwork invokes previously unexplored feelings from the viewer, the artist has done their job successfully.

In all of the madness of AP courses, a class often lost in the tangle is AP Studio. AP Studio is a course for hardworking artists, for students who are willing to dedicate massive amounts of time and energy toward their artwork. The course requires students to select a common theme for all of their works throughout the year, which adds a conceptual aspect that is unique to the course. Students are required to produce twelve artworks, which are based on a common theme known as their “focus.”

Senior Nick Hammonds chose “American game changers” as his focus. He plans to portray important figures in American culture and history in his works throughout the year.

“Game changers are people that made whatever they did better,” Hammonds said. “If it’s a musician, they changed music, like Michael Jackson.”

Hammonds appreciates art a a medium through which the creator can express himself in ways that aren’t possible through language.

“[Art] is a way to express how you’re feeling besides just telling it,” Hammonds said. “I like to make crazy artwork, besides regular boring stuff. I feel like that leans towards my personality.”

Some artists say they are so dedicated to the craft because they have always had art in their life. Art plays a crucial role in their personality and how they perceive the world. Senior Johnnyangel Navares has been making art ever since since a young age.

“When I was younger, my mom couldn’t afford anything other than crayons and a coloring book, so that’s what I grew up on,” Navares said.

Navares’ focus for AP Studio is “world issues.” He intends to express these problems so people can empathize with others that struggle with problems they may not fully understand.

“It could be from cancer, to floods, to ISIS or to finding yourself,” Navares said. “It’s very broad.”

Navares also lets his own personality and style reflect in his work.

“I like to incorporate old 80’s trends,” Navares said. “I try to make cool retro logos with what I’m trying to put out there.”

Navares claims that artists are often able to better portray their true emotion and feeling towards the world through their art, rather than through words. Artists let their work speak for itself, rather than explaining it.

“If you’re feeling sad, you can’t really explain that,” Navares said. “But if you can make the art feel like what you feel, it will help people understand.”

Art is regarded by some as an emotional medium that shapes people’s perception of the world. Historians observe art from certain periods to gather a general idea about how the people felt about the state of the world at the time. Some artists find their identity through their art, working to express and portray that identity.

“I don’t know who I would be without art,” Navares said. “I’m a creative person, and art is and always will be a part of who I am.”