Picture Opens Up Students to Syrian Crisis

Mstyslav Chernov/Unframe

Syrian refugees strike in front of Budapest Keleti railway station. Refugee crisis. Budapest, Hungary, Central Europe, 3 September 2015.

Jack Selig, Staff Writer

Shocked.

That was the expression on the face of Omran Daqneesh, a five-year-old Syrian boy who was pulled from his ravaged house in the Syrian city of Aleppo after a Russian or Syrian government airstrike destroyed it. The picture of this young boy with a bloodied head and cuts on his legs and arms went viral on social media and news networks.

For some, the picture was a grim reminder of the rising number of civilian casualties in the Syrian civil war. For others, it was an introduction to a bloody conflict that has been going on for five years.

Freshman Gretchen Bush said that students should be aware and do something to help.

“This is terrifying,” Bush said. “I didn’t realize that boy was a real kid at first.

Organizations such as Doctors Without Borders, Unicef, UNHCR, SOS Children’s Villages and others are helping on the ground and through donations that go toward medical supplies, food and clothing for Syrian refugees.

“This has become the iconic picture of the [Syrian Civil] war,” AP World History teacher Julie Dorsey said. I think awareness is huge–awareness about what the war is about: its goals, aims and who is fighting in it. Especially the refugee crisis that comes out of that, that is very important.”

An estimated 11 million refugees have fled Syria since the start of the civil war in 2011. The reason for this massive emigration from Syria is the amount of fighting that is going on. The civil war is being fought between at least 12 different rebel groups, some of which are supported by countries such as the United States, and President Bashaar Al-Assad’s regime, which is supported by Russia.

“Being the dominant power, the United States has a role to play anywhere,” senior Connor Qualls said. “We should be [in Syria] to help.  We should not be in Syria to dehumanize anyone unless they are super radical.”

Daqneesh is only one of the millions of children that have either been injured, displaced or forced to leave Syria because of the conflict.

“I feel America should open the doors and help Syria in immigration,”Qualls said. “The United States was founded by immigrants, so why not share what we have here.”