Adolescent Affection

Adolescent+Affection

Sarah Graham, Writer

High school is the ringing of alarm clocks and inevitable eyebags. High school is last-minute cramming of knowledge into the brain and a Poptart down the throat. It is making new friends, going on dates and possibly taking part in a romantic? relationship.

Teenagers are often accused of not knowing the meaning of love, or they are seen as too young to survive the problems relationships hold. Despite the stereotypes, juniors Rachel Curtis and Tanner Caton have managed to maintain a high school relationship for one year and four months.

“She just makes me really happy,” Caton said. “I don’t know how exactly, but when I’m around her, I’m always in a better mood.”

Caton and Curtis both agree a relationship is far more than the flutter of butterflies in the stomach and sweet words. It must be taken seriously in order for it to last.

“I think they can last if you make them last,” Curtis said. “If you think they are actually the person you want to spend the rest of your life with and you are both looking towards the future, they can work.”

Although she was raised by high school sweethearts, junior Sarah Brady refuses to fall under the spell of a teenage boy and get caught in a high school relationship.

“My dad has always told me, ‘You don’t need a man, you need to depend on yourself before you depend on someone else,’” Brady said. “My family is just really liberal in that way.”

Brady’s family has spent years convincing her that she is to be independent, that she does not need a relationship to feel wanted or a boyfriend to be happy.

“I’m not opposed to love, I just tend to look for the worst when it comes to relationships,” Brady said. “My outlook on it is ‘Oh, in the long-run, this isn’t going to work out.’ I’m just not going to compromise myself for it.”

Though not on the search for a significant other, Brady continues to strengthen the bonds between her and others who take part in her high school life.

“I really feel like friendships are more important than relationships in this stage,” Brady said. “You can be dependent on them for certain things that you don’t need to find in a boy. I just feel like a relationship is not what we should be looking for.”